Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia identification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the plant pictured below as Sarracenia purpurea, but its hoods seem abnormal for that species.

I assume, then, that it's a hybrid, but with what? My first guess was a flava hybrid, but it doesn't look like the pictures I can find of S. x 'catesbaei'. Also, when it bloomed this spring, the flowers were dark maroon (more so than shown in the picture, because it was overcast and the camera can't deal with it), with no evidence of flava's yellow.

New pitchers are green with copper tops, then the whole thing turns maroon.

So any ideas?

Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the hood looks like purpurea montana. although i don't think they get that red. maybe they do. also, i don't think it's a variety that's readily available. it does look an awful lot like a pure purpurea to me. if it is a hybrid, i would have to guess purpurea x (purpurea x flava), which is also called S. x melanorhoda, i think. the spelling might be off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess what made me most suspicious of the plant is it's upright habit and its weird hat-shaped hoods. The other purps I have have wide open, undulating hoods with green, veined, and hairy interiors.

The insides of these hoods are nearly smooth and are maroon on matured pitchers, nearly obliterating any veining.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a burkii in that mix, not montana. The pink flower is a giveaway in that hybrid..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found another picture of the plant's flowers from spring which more accurately represents the color...definately not pink like burkeii. The first image appeared pink because it was an overcast, rainy day.

Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I just looked at TONS of purp pictures on the Web and couldn't find a single one producing pitchers/hoods shaped like this.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like S.x melanorhoda, but you would expect paler, slightly elongated petals.

I think it's a red flowered sarra crossed with purpurea and then backcrossed again with purpurea. Perhaps S.x chelsonii x purpurea, which is (rubra x purp) x purp.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing hooding. I'd name this hybrid 'Vivi' if it wasn't already nicknamed or what-not. Since it's hood and upright position gives it the visual appearance that of a Final Fantasy character named "Vivi" which appears in FF IX and some previous expansions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast