What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra's nest growth

Two weeks ago I purchased a cobra's nest hybrid. I have never experienced any pitcher plant that grows so quickly as this one. It already had eight, eight inch pitchers when I received it and has grown two more since then. The growing point still shows signs of even more on the way. Is anyone else out there having this kind of success with one of these or am I just lucky with my first try?  And, there seems to be a difference of opinions on the dormancy requirements for this critter. One source claims no dormancy required (I highly doubt that considering it's purperea heritage) and others are vague at best. Any advice would be appreciated...this plant is a keeper!

i love cobra's nest, it's one of my favorites
smile.gif

it does require a dormancy like all sarracenia

Hi Flytrap59

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif
I don't have one yet but its on my list of plants to get. Its a very nice hybrid. Congrats on your success with it.

Suzanne/PAK

Hey flytrap59, welcome to the forums and congrats on your first try!
smile.gif

May I ask what is a 'cobra's nest'? Not similiar to a cobra lily I suppose...

I don't really think its 'beginner's luck' on this one, what condidtions are you growing it in?

-Jason-

its a sarracenia hybrid- there have been rumors of people breeding darlingtonia with sarracenia, but no proof.

I got one not too long ago also. It is a great hybrid, very vigorous and turns completely red in full sun. I've seen a few people seem to think that it's a cross between darlingtonia and sarracenia...probably because of it's name. it doesn't even look anything like a darlingtonia. i think the people that created it don't even know what the heritage is. i read somewhere it was an f10 hybrid, which would mean 10 generations of selfing. if i had to guess what it has in it, i'd say purpurea and rubra, and perhaps one other upright species, such as flava. anyway, it is a fantastic hybrid and hopefully it will be more available in the near future. PFT should try to get ahold of some. as far as dormancy - all species and hybrids need the same winter rest.

I wondered about the dormancy requirments of this plant. The ICPS website says that it does not require it. How could this be possible? Here is a quote:

"This cultivar earned its patented status for its unique horticultural characteristics. It grows vigorously, year around, in a compact shape, about 25 cm (10 inches) tall. This is in contrast to many wild species, which turn brown in the Fall and go dormant."

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cpncultivars/v32.html

I have this plant and it's just amazing , I love it ! . And your right , the plant is an F10 hybrid created by the company Booman Floral . It is NOT a hybrid between Sarracenia and Darlingtonia . I've heard of it withstanding no dormancy , fertilizer , hard water , and unhappy conditons , but i'd rather be safe then sorry . Otherwise , happy growing .

Hi Ron - good to see you again!

My experience with TCed plants is they have multipe growing points and tend to be very congested. They also seem to grow very fast compared to other 'regular' (non-TCed) plants.

An update on Cobra's Nest for anyone who hasn't heard - the lab that was doing the tissue culture of this plant has apparently lost the culture and is not producing any more at the moment. Not sure why they're having a hard time starting with another plant. But if you have one, enjoy it! I would expect more new plants next season.

I wonder how a commercial lab could lose the culture after mass-producing thousands of plants. I would think that they would have several cultures going at one time, so if one is contaminated etc. there are still plenty of cultures to keep the plant going...

This is a favorite Sarracenia cultivar of mine. It is a very richly colored plant, an easy grower, but I do believe the requirements for dormancy are the same as for any other Sarracenia. I have found that keeping the previous sesons pitchers is advisable, same as for the Parrot Pitcher Plant: removing the previous seasons growth seems to set things back some. One thing the photos of the plant don't show is that it is finely pubescent, almost velvety. The idea that is is a Darlingtonia cross is a myth, although the parentage is not certain for this cultivar by all that I have read.

This is a Sarracenia 'Cobra's Nest'. This is a cutting that hasn't fully matured yet.

Sarracenia_Cobras_Nest_072303_5.sized.jpg

Hmmm...doesn't really look like a cobra does it? That aside, it is a beautiful plant. Is that colouration a feature of that plant? Wonder why I have not seen it for sale, even on online nurseries...
confused.gif

Au contraire, Jason, it DOES look like a nest of cobras! All open hooded and angry! Now where is my recorder?
smile_m_32.gif

They lost the culture?
confused.gif
I have been waiting for Dean Cook to get some of these in all year!!!!! Crapola!!! They look quite nice and are fairly cheap for a named hybrid(I don't think they are a registered cultivar, are they?).

Joe

confused.gif

Back