What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora

just because your neps may be doing ok, don't compare them to helis-they come from different environments and are not the same.
i really suggest you get a terrarium.

Ta-da!
smile_n_32.gif
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
I found a person who succesfully grows them on a windowsil.
smile.gif
My Neps are more than O.K, they are producing copper-rish coloured and ruffled leaves, and they are pitchering like mad!!
smile_n_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

While you may find you can grow Heliamphora on your windowsill.. or you may find you can't. (only one way to know for sure)

PLEASE do not compare them to Nepenthes.. especially N. maxima and N. ventrata which are bombproof compared to Heliamphora!

Tony

I grow Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor on my windowsill for now. So far it has been doing great, making consecutively larger pitchers. The temperature is usually in the range of 70-80, and the humidity is probably somewhere from 40-60%, but I can't say for sure since I only have a hygrometer in my terrarium.

Since I have only had Heliamphora for a few months, I can't say what the long term effects will be, but if it keeps doing what it is doing now it will be great. My night temperatures do not drop much in summer, but there is quite a drop during the colder months.

-Ben

Oh cool!!
smile_n_32.gif
How do you do it, sharp229??
Im rather eager to find out!!
smile_n_32.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif

Thank you for any help,
Dino
smile_m_32.gif

P.S
Tony, I didnt know that. Im sorry Im not as knoledgeble as you are.
smile_h_32.gif

I though they had similar growing conditions, thats all. I was obviously wrong.
smile_h_32.gif

O.K, I suppose I should put in an update, so here goes:

They have been reacting very nicely to my windowsill.
After this morning, I noticed that they have gained more colour than yesterdy. I have flushed them both with cool water this morning.

But, this afternoon, just 10 minutes ago, I managed(somehow) to knock over Heliamphora nutans.
It took around a 3 foot tumble. It is still well and intact, but, it has lost 2 of its pitchers.
smile_h_32.gif
One of them was brown at the top anyway, but the other one was big and perfectly formed.
smile_h_32.gif
Fortunatley, the biggest and best pitcher is still intact.
smile.gif
Will my H.nutans recover?

There were no accident with the other Heliamphora.

I have sprayed them 3 times today, I will spray them 1 or 2 more times today.

Dino
smile.gif

Hi,

I'm growing two of my Heliamphora on my east-facing windowsill without protection due to the limited space in my terrarium. My clones of H. heterodoxa and H. heterodoxa x nutans grow well but H. minor and H. nutans disliked this environment. Actually I'm not able to get Nepenthes growing in the same place. I had a N. miranda (or something similar) few years back at the same spot and it didn't pitcher at all. During winter I move these two Heliamphora to an unheated room, because I'm afraid the dry hot air would dehydrate them. The pitchers are filled with water about twice a week and temperatures during night drop considerably to 15-18 deg at the moment (open window).

Ah, and a picture of the H. heterodoxa won't hurt:

H_heterodoxa_040704.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Nice Heliamphora!
smile_m_32.gif
Will my Heli recover?
confused.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Another windowsill grower!
smile_n_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

i find it very hard to believe that your plants got noticeably more colorful within a day and you've had it for such a short amount of time theres no way to know how it's reacting.

if i put an N. rajah or some other delicate plant on my window, it would probably look fine the next day but that doesn't mean that it is fine.

Here are some pics of mine.  Please excuse the quality, since I had to use flash due to low light levels.

H. heterodoxa right after I bought and transplanted it:
hbefore.jpg

Right now (taken about 5 minutes ago):
hafter.jpg

That pitcher in the center is the newest fully developed one.  You can also see two new pitchers forming if you look carefully.  The brown stuff is just old pitchers that I have not yet removed.  It seems to not have as much red coloring now, but I guess this just means that it has somewhat less light than it did in the nursery.

As for the damage to the H. nutans, I would imagine it should recover fine if cared for properly.  This plant may be harder to grow on a windowsill than H. heterodoxa, so please tell me how it goes.  If you can get it to work, maybe I'll get some more Heliamphora!

-Ben

I may sound a bit repetitive, but hopefully it is for the best.

Heliamphoras love higher humidity levels than Nepenthes. Growing the outside or in a windowsill may not be the best decision. Glasshouses or any room which can keep high humidity levels are best.

On hot days, watch out, because they can die on you very quickly if left outside.

Gus

An update:

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor:
Doing very, very well.
smile.gif
Its pitchers are turning deep red inside.
smile.gif
The nectar spoon has also turned deep red.
smile.gif

Heliamphora nutans:
Not so good.
smile_h_32.gif
It fell off the desk(remember that?)
While I was in London, mom forgot to flush them daily with water, she was putting water in the trays instead!!!
smile_o_32.gif

H.nutans didnt like water being put in its tray, so it has deteriorated.
smile_h_32.gif
All the pitchers that got damaged before I got it(it was i a transport van, as a result it orriginally arrived with damaged pitchers, except for just one) The pitcher which isnt damaged at all is still there, but all the others(they are all damaged) are dying off.
smile_h_32.gif
My nutans will only have 1 pitcher left.
smile_h_32.gif
I have checked the roots, and they are very healthy and firm.
------------------------------------------------------------

Damaged pitchers on H.heterodoxa x minor are also dieying away, as with H.nutans. Only the pitchers which are not damaged are still there. Mom was also putting water in H.heterodoxa x minors tray, but it didnt react badly to this.

------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice appreciated,
Dino
smile_n_32.gif

Hi:

For some reason, in Heliamphoras, when the plant dies, the pitchers go first and any part of the root that is in contact with the pitchers. the lower portion of the roots (the one that is usually buried in compost remains intact).

I just can't explain this phenomenon.

I have grown H. minor x heterodoxa outdoors in my bog garden betwenn Sarracenia (during summer, of course) and it did very well.
This year I had put it into an open greenhouse direct into the sun after growing them in a terrarium with only artificial light. It turned more red (within very short time) and does very well. I also keep it standing in water, during the time in the bog and after heavy rains the water level sometimes reached the pitchers.

I also put two of my Nepenthes (N. khasiana nd N. macfarlanei) from my terrarium into the greenhouse and both of these plants had heavy sunburn but are recovering now (I'm not sure if the N. macfarlanei will pitcher)

Some weeks ago I repotted some H. minor seedling (some years old but still small) from my terrarium in the greenhouse. Most of them are doing fine. They are more redish and lost some of the old leaves.
I also devided H. tatei and three small plants are now growing in the greenhouse. One of them even didn't have a single root when I potted it, but it still has some green pitchers left, another one doesn't look so good (still a bit greenish in the middle) and one with adult pitchers and two roots is doing fine.
All of them are standing permanently in water until I know for sure that they will survive.

The worst what you can do with a Helimaphora in my opinion is a hot and steamy terrarium with the usual small amount of artificial light.

They need lots of light and cool nights and they like beeing watered from above. I'm not so sure about their humidity requirements. I doubt that they are very picky about that. 50% should be absolutly fine.

Martin

These are my Heliamphora sp. on the windowsill in my bedroom. Each container has a hole on the top of cap. From right to left are H. heterodoxa, H. minor, H. heterodoxa x minor, and H. ionasii.

CIMG0251_n.jpg

Tim

Back