What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora

Hello everyone!
Im a getting a couple of heliamphoras this afternoon, H.nutans and H.minor x heterodoxa. Heli windowsill growers, how do you grow yours on a windowsill? Do you grow it the same as windowsill Nepenthes?
Thank you for your help,
Dino
smile.gif

They have arrived!
smile.gif
Could you please help?
Thank you for any help,
Dino
smile_m_32.gif

I think It would be best for you to chuck 'em in a terrium, what are the conditions on your windowsill?

Heliamphoras tend to need higher humidity than neps, so I agree with Grim that, in general, you'll want to use terraria. I grow all my nepenthes open air, but don't think my heliamphoras would survive that.

Capslock

Hmmm, I grow my neps on a windowsill, they were unhapy at first, but they have adjusted and they are pitchering like mad.
smile.gif
What I did was spray them 4 times a day, then I slowly went on to 3 times a day, then to 2 times a day, and I only spray them once a day now. Shall I repeat this with the heliamphora? Nope, no terrarium, but I can put a bottle over it which is like a terrarium.Some ppl here grow them fine on windowsills(and succesfully!
smile_m_32.gif
)
If you are one of these ppl and if you are reading this, please post your advice here.
smile.gif

Thank you for your help Grim and Capslock.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

The bottle-over-it method might work. I didn't know people could grow these successfully on windowsills! Cool! Let us know how it goes.

Capslock

All I can say is, keep them away from high heat. Mine were doing fine in 80-90 degree temps. But the other week we had a freak super-hot day. And despite the fact that I had the window blinds partially closed and they only get morning light....let's just say my H.minor x heterodoxa is NOT happy right now.

I think I will use my Nepenthes adjusting method.
cool.gif

How much do you water them? Somebodys rotted away due to watering problems.
confused.gif
Somebody posted(I think it was Homer?) that he grows Heliamphora fine on windowsills.
cool.gif
Do heliamphora share there home with Highland Nepenthes? If they do it will be no problem for me to grow them.
cool.gif

Dino
smile_n_32.gif

They live on high Mountains in S. America.

Wonderfull!
smile.gif
Highland plants=perfect!!
smile.gif

I have highland nepenthes growing in my room, a Heli should be no problem.
smile.gif
Do helis share there home with Nepenthes?
I still need my questions anwsered.(Including the ones in my last post!
smile_m_32.gif
)
Thanks Grim!
smile_m_32.gif

Dino
smile_n_32.gif

No, there are no nepenthes in South America. The temperatures are compatible, but heliamphora come from wetter, more humid climates.

As far as watering goes, I do not let mine sit in standing water, but I keep them wet. In a humid terrarium, this isn't too difficult.

Capslock

Yes, somebody put them on a tray system and they rotted away!
I think I will water them a from the top of the pot a few times a week(or more if they get too dry) I will also use my Nep adjusting method.
cool.gif

Dino
smile_n_32.gif

Heliamphora come from South America. Nepenthes come from the other side of the world. Heliamphora are much less adaptable in my opinion and don't tolerate low humidity or high temperatures like a highland Nepenthes will. How well they will do for you personally will depend on the environment on your windowsill. No two windowsills are alike.. so to speak so it is impossible to give specific advice except they like VERY high humidity and cool temperatures and very bright light. If you would like to attempt growing them on a windowsill then go ahead. Just watch very carefully for signs of dehydration. They recover very poorly from such stress.

Tony

Well, my windowsill gets around 8hrs of sunlight if that helps......
Then its very bright on there all through the day. So I think the sunlight issue is fine. :)Thanks very much Tony!
smile_m_32.gif
But, there are people on this forum that grow them fine on windowsills(I think Homer is one) so I will contact them.
smile.gif
For the temperatures, I would be lying if I said that England is a hot country, warm summers with chilly/cold winters(though my house is heated in winter) Tempearature is fine too, no?
Humidity might be a bit of an issue, but I am confident that they will adjust.
smile.gif
Thank you Tony.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

The biggest problem you wil have growing indoors is that Heliamphora want a big difference between day and night temperatures. We tend to run our houses with more or less the same temperatures night and day. Here in the UK the daytimes are currently in the mid to high 20s (indoors maybe slightly less), whereas a normal house windowsil will only drop by a few degrees at night (say 25C in the day and 21C at night). You really want a noticeable drop well below 20C to keep them happy in the long run. Ideally they get night temperatures of around 12-15C, and then day temps of around 24-26C. But as you have no other option give it a go and see how they do (I know someone who grow Nepenthes rajah quite well on a windowsil over here in the UK so maybe some houses can just about accommodate more fussy highlanders). They will get by for a while without this drop, but in the long run will deteriorate.

I also suggest that you water them from overhead once a day. It rains one heck of a lot where they grow (the highest waterfall in the world tumbles over the side of one of the mountains where they grow, and all that water comes from somewhere...). You don't have to leave the water sitting under the pot, but daily watering will keep the leaves and soil fresh and avoid rot from stagnation. If you have to repot them, use live sphagnum moss and maybe mix in some perlite.

Incidentally I grow all of my helis on the tray stystem including in winter and they do fine as long as the soil stays fresh by getting flushed through with fresh water via regular overhead waterings.

Good luck.

Rob.

Since Homer is not available at the moment, I will attest to you he does NOT grow his on a windowsill.  He has his in a terrarium that recieves a misting during the day.  The overhead mist falls directly on his two heliamphoras.

My windowsill temperatures drop at least 10oC, but usually more. The temperature is the same as outside really, I dont heat my house during the summer, the helis are are by the window, and the window NEVER closes, its ALWAYS open.(Though it will close in Winter when I will keep my room heated so I dont get too cold, it is my room after all!) My N.maxima is in my room and its growing and pitchering like mad!! My N.x ventrata is doing the same.
smile.gif

Thank you Rob!! Do you really mean 20C??(Or did you put in the wrong number?)
Thanks again!
smile.gif
I will flush it with my Darlingtonia every morning, but I will use room temperature water, not cool/chilly water that I use for my Darlingtonia.
smile.gif

Thank you again Rob!!
smile_m_32.gif
cool.gif

Dino
cool.gif
laugh.gif
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (brisco225 @ Aug. 05 2004,4:15)]Since Homer is not available at the moment, I can attest to you he does NOT grow his on a windowsill.  He has his in a very controlled terrarium that recieves a misting during the day.
O.K I will find someone else that does.
smile.gif

Dino
smile_n_32.gif

It's funny about heli's....My ionasii is doing just fantastic on my deck railing. We've had a not-so-hot summer, in general, but the day time highs in the sun still got into the upper 80's most of the time, even the 90's a few times. This little trooper recovered from getting eaten by my cat (
mad.gif
) in these conditions.

Yet my other heli (y tepi something or other...forget off the top of my head) is barely clinging to life right now. I don't get it.
confused.gif

Maybe that Illu tepui(I believe you are reffering to that one) comes from higher altitudes, and needs cooler temperatures than your other helli(Ionassi)
Whats a railing?
confused.gif

Dino
smile_n_32.gif

Back