Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S. flava 'red tube'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then again, there are birds that fly all over the place and inhabit large areas of the coastal plain where our plants live, and cover thousands of miles in a season. It is hard to say without genetic testing, but my own experience with seed from the red tube site long ago, isolated from the group and cross pollinated, would throw seed all the way from heavily veined to blinding purple/red plants. Who knows for sure? I suppose, just as Schnell does, that my studies are sound, but without DNA scans and all that, it is still just supposition. I think both of our theories are good, but have their fill in the blank areas. Only DNA studies will help, I think. I do have some backing from a good source though. He has spent more years and man hours in the field than anyone, except Bob Hanrahan, and he was his partner for years. That would be Jim Miller, and we talk about this from time to time. The atropurps in Florida are introduced, too, and Jim knows the story on that one. He was there.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alexis,
    There is a way of getting varieties; rubricorpora and atropurpurea to colour up the same year and that is to repot in January. More than half the red tubes at my place were repotted this year.
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really Mike? My atropurpurea was potted into a bigger pot in December, the roots weren't disturbed but more peat/perlite was filled in to fill the larger pot. It was reddish pink this year not the deep red [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, Same here. I repotted at the same time, and the reds are just amazing. I always use Superthrive when I repot, do you use anything yourselves??
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet this would be the time to use Rob's(from Botaqnique-I always butcher his last name) tannic tea recipe. Would that not bring out the red quicker?

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me its just straight peat and perlite mix coupled with very high sunlight levels..

Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the plants that I have look nothing like the pics posted. they start out red, and then just turn green. I received the plants as a trade over the winter, so maybe there is something in the ropotting/color theory. they plants get about 8 hours direct outside sun daily...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My coppertop loses its color too. Newly matured pitchers are a deep bronze, especially at the beginning of the season. But the color fades as time passes and later pitchers don't color up as nicely.

I think (but am not positive) the best color is before the summer solstice, so I don't think it's strictly an issue of light intensity. And, because our summer temperatures pale against what southerners face on a consistent basis, I don't think my plants fade because of the heat. It could be a combination of environmental factors and physiological processes. Who knows, maybe they get so happy about being full of insects they forget to turn bronze.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast