Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S. flava 'red tube'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do use Rob Saciloto's tannic tea recipe myself for plants that don't want to color up. It helps atropurp's and rubricorpora's redden beautifully. Rob's been at work with tannic recipes for some time, and is always taking soil samples. Some of his Florida "ornata's" reddened into rubricorpora's using this recipe. We are both suspicious of the ornata title in Florida.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly is this tannic tea recipe Bugweed? Does it make a difference since they are already in acidic peat?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was my S. flava rubricorpora 'Red Tube' a year or so ago. It is no longer red like that. I can't remember if this has been repotted or not. It is receiving less sun as a stupid pin oak is now shading my deck. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] It sure WAS pretty...

Anyone know how to kill a tree without leaving any evidence?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ornatas grow in the same tray system as the rubricorporas so I doubt the tannic tea method as the plants are side by side with the red tubes. They have always been stable.
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 11 2004,4:14)]Anyone know how to kill a tree without leaving any evidence?
    Sure, just drive a couple of copper nails into the trunk , supposedly this works (if it doesn't, it won't matter either)

Sorry, back to the "red tube" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now Mike! You are not being fair. You have to take several factors in to consideration here and some of them need to be proved. The intensitiy of light in the UK is much more than it is here. The UK is futher north and thus the light is stronger and they have much longer summer days. Also the soil mix (acid) and a friend claims high heat has a good bit to do with color intensity. I am to visit him this weekend and I will report back on that one. My friend claims in his greenhouse it can get in excess of 120 degrees F but with equally high humidity to pervent burning. His sarrs are very intense in color. There still is a great deal to learn about these plants. Keep growing, trying and learning.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That and genetics say whether the plant colors or not. I am still open to the ornata question in Florida, but too many things bear me out as to whether ornatas exist in Florida or not. I also don't think it is a big deal, just another way of looking at the situation. DNA tests will tell, but who here can afford that? Besides, Don Schnell and I like our friendly arguments--we learn a lot that way, and it forces us to try to keep our minds open.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]The UK is futher north and thus the light is stronger and they have much longer summer days
    The light is weaker the further north you go! Hours of light are longer in summer, but the light has travelled further from the sun.

Quote[/b] ]There still is a great deal to learn about these plants. Keep growing, trying and learning.
    No offence, but I think Mike has forgotten more than you'll ever know [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] This is Mike with 3000+ plants you're referring to?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast