Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S. flava 'red tube'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is this variety of sar actually turn red? I've had it all season, and the plant is just a normal looking s. flava. full sun, rain water, outside, just fyi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it is not correctly labelled.. they should be nice bright red. Can you post a picture?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red tubes are sometimes always red, partially red, or a heavily veined version that is sometimes in Florida called "ornata". They are not ornata, but because no one else has studied the red tubes for variances in color forms within the group, they stuck it with the label ornata. Some red tubes will throw seed of plants that never turn red. Genetics at work! Instead, they vein up profusely. Some only partially redden up, a red flush over the plant, but not deep red, and others will be so red/purple, it hurts the eye to look at them. Sunlight, heat, and soil temperature play a large part in the coloration of many sarracenia, and the variation rubricorpora is no exception. However, not every seed thrown by this variety, will turn red. And, there are some things that can be done to help them to attain the color, and keep that coloration throughout the life of that plant. Always something new to learn!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like colors in dog breeds. A yellow lab or a chocolate lab or a black lab is still a lab and its offspring can be different colors. The difference is the dog colors don't seem to blend. I haven't seen labs that are halfway between yellow and chocolate, for example.

But S. flava varieties aren't so distinct. I've never seen a workable distinction between ornata and rubricorpa, for example. I assume some rubricorpas grown in too little light might look like ornatas. And I have a S. flava that is all green except for a fine tip pen width line of red in the throat. So it's much, much more like the all green maxima than like anything else. But maxima seems to be defined as 100% green, so this isn't one.

I think some CP dealers germinate S. flava seed, let them grow a bit, and then divide them into red tubes, coppertops, ornatas, etc. They might be siblings.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce, the only red in the maxima is in the growing point. As you have said the rest is 100% green. I have studied the red tubes for some time, and the fact that some only go the heavily veined route, is confusing to some folks. I have spoken with Don Schnell on his assumption that the heavily veined plants in the red tube sites are ornatas, and he sees what I am trying to tell him. He wants me to do an experiment with a "true" ornata from North Carolina, and an "ornata" from Florida, do my soil heat, soil nutrient thing to see if some of the plants will redden up under other conditions, or if they redden up at all. The problem I am having is getting the North Carolina plant to use as the control subject. I have told Don that if the ornata's came into Florida on the feet of birds, then where in the heck are the rubricorpora's taken North on the feet of birds, in North Carolina. His theory is sound, but doesn't wash because nature works in all directions. If plants are carried in by birds, then they are carried out by birds. So where in North or South Carolina, are the rubricorpora's? They're are none, because that is not the case. The plants in Florida are not ornata, but to really show that, we need a DNA scan, and I don't have that kind of money!! Mike King and I have a friendly argument on that point as well. I still feel after all my study, that this is just a matter of genetics, not different plants.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps if it is migrating birds that brought the ornata South the same birds travel a different route North or at a time of the year when rubricorpora seed/pods are not available for them to bring North?

Anyway... MCR.. just label it S. flava then your set!

Here is a hmm should I say red redtube? For those that have nonred redtubes? hehe

This is earlier in the season. It is quite a bit darker now.
    S. flava rubricorpora (got this from Australia.. go figure)
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read from somewhere that they sometimes pale after repotting(ie, after you get oe) and won;t really color up until the next year. Full sun is a must, of course.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both atropurpurea and rubricorpora will have some redness whatever the condition and they should be distinguishable from other flavas, with the exception of ornata which can look like a sun starved/repotted red tube.
    After repotting it usually takes three years for the full colour to return but even a repotted atropurpurea will turn a pinkish tan colour, but still with green bits.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast