Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big bad bugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason,
    They do not attack anything but sarracenais. They are very specfic. There are even different typrs of Exyra moths that only attach certain species of sarracenia.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The final update on the Exyra moth infestation. I sprayed twice with the half strength Orthene. It seems to have gotten 95% of them. I am still finding a few. The spray has stunted and distorted pitchers and stopped growth on some plants. I am glad I did not spray again.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey -

I've not had an infestation, per se, but I've seen a few Exyra larvae and destroyed them. I thought the problem was gone, but today I saw and caught an adult, so my problem will probably rear its ugly head again soon. I don't want to use chemicals, and for now the damage is small scale.

In any case, I was given a great idea for how to dispatch of the moths. They make a great meal for a VFT.

- Patrick
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, in some states it is illegal to spray Exyra rolandiana without a permit, as Sarracenia get more and more sparce, the Exyra become endangered or indanger of becoming endangered right with them, in some states [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img] These states include virginia and conneticut (This is all the info I could find in my bug books and online, but theres probably more states)

You might want to pick off as many larvae as you can before killing them, and give them to an entomologist for studying (If your in Virginia or Conneticut, I wouldn't spray at all!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Spec. That is information worth knowing.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Just, doing my job, ya know [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

I edited out the "smash them anyway" comment because people seem to have trouble distinguishing my jokes from life these days [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Hope that comment wasnt the part that was worth knowing! (blah, cant make a smiley, I'm under my 2 smiley per post law from you... Max dont hold me while BW's beatin me up! Good times, Good times...)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you abuse, you lose spec hehehe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12