User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with filling my pitchers with some water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still kind of wary about putting them outside at all, even in the shade. It got to 116 in my area two days ago, and even in the shade it felt like you were on fire. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] It should cool down to the low 100's by the end of the week, so I'll see about putting it outside then.

Currently its in a high temp (85-90) degree terrarium with a nice, high watt flourescent light. Hopefully it'll toughen up a bit in there as well.
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants have survived just fine in hot weather. We had some mid to upper 90's a couple days this summer, and no damage was done.
    Unfortunatly, most plants do not "harden" up indoors. The only way to truely "harden" up a plant, in my opionion, is to stick it outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably should keep it indoors until the outside temps come down towards 100. Even though purps are a fairly tough
    species a 20 degree sudden increase in it's environment would probably throw it into shock.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]My plants have survived just fine in hot weather. We had some mid to upper 90's a couple days this summer, and no damage was done.
    The problem with Las Vegas is we're generally pretty lucky if we get two months out of the year of non-extreme temps. It hasn't been in the mid-upper 90's here since early May, and chances are once fall rolls around, that'll last only for late September/Early October before it gets cold.

And believe me, mid-upper 90's is nowhere near "hot" for us. Particularly if you've ever experienced the joy that is 150+ temps when getting in your vehicle after its been in the sun for more than an hour.
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, do not add water to S. x 'Judith Hindle'.

116 is a bit warm. Rarely does it break 100 in the wild range of Sarracenia. 80s and 90s are quite common.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend near Atlanta that is a sarracenia grower professionally. He grows his sarrs in a greenhouse that reaches temps upwards of 130F but with 98% humidity. He says they grow like weeds and have incredible color. I am to visit him tomorrow and I will report back about this.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two S. Purps. that I brought back from Franks.
    This is what it looked like when I first got it:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/lesliex317537/P1010251.JPG[/img]

I'll take a picture of it later when I get home of it outside where it grew alot in 1 month. It's nice a red and purple now with a pitcher that has a diameter of 1 inch. It can hold water fine and is alot stronger.

I think that wind has a big factor with the strength of the plant. Also rain drops strenghthen the plant I think.

I'll post a picture later. I was amazed that the pitchers grew so well outside. They do much better outside then my VFT's do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the pitchers slumping over because they are suspended in mid air, over the edge of the pot? The pitchers will slump down if filled with water, but the ground stops them tipping out their contents. Yours might have just outgrown its pot.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast