User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with filling my pitchers with some water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have what appears to be a normal, healthy, run of the mill Sarracina P. that I recently purchased at Home Depot. After reading both the care instructions that came with the plant, and on this site, I filled each of the active, grown pitchers roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of water.

Unfortunately, doing this causes the leaves to droop to the ground due to the water's weight, dumping the water I filled and springing back up to their normal position. So my question is, is this normal, or do I have an out of shape pitcher plant?
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Fygee, my guess is that the existing pitchers are "soft" from being grown indoors. If you grow it outdoors, wait until you get a new pitcher and try it again. All my S. purpurea handle water just fine and they all grow outdoors.

best of luck,

Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, growing it outdoors isn't an option for me. I live in Las Vegas and its really, really hot here.

So hot in fact that in the the past few days the heat killed nearly every bug I'd previously seen a few days before, with the exception of a few roaches and heat stroke stricken crickets. There were at least 5 active ant hills and after yesterday, there's not been a single sign of activity, day or night. Dead beetles and other smaller flying insects all over the lawn too. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Is there any way to get them hardened and buffed up indoors?
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice hot terrarium maybe. With bright lights and maximum humidity. Then you probably won't have to fill the pitchers with water. They'll do it themselves.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fygee, The S.purpurea you purchased is most likely an immature plant to begin with. As others have stated, it's recent indoor habitat at Home Depot didn't help to toughen up the leaves. Many times these chain-store plants have been cooped up in a domed pot for several weeks. This high humidity (and often low-light) environment contributes to the softness of the pitcher walls. What I would do is not worry about filling them with water and just let them photosynthesize in sunlight or, at the very least, bright shade. Since you're experiencing such high temps at present you'll need to do this on an indoor windowsill. However, don't underestimate pupurea's ability to withstand high temps. Purps are incredibly tough buggers. You could place it outside in bright shade (no direct sun at this time) and place the pot in a bowl at least 1/2 full of water. Purps in the wild sometimes grow burried deep in a layer of sphagnum moss and in some cases receive almost no direct sunlight. They still grow vigorously, just less colorful.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to check on this too, but what exactly are the "rules" on filling pitchers with water?

I have two types of Sars, the pitchers in each are maybe 5-6 inches tall. I'm not really sure though if I should be filling them with water or not. They've been doing fine without(ie not dead!), but I'm not 100% sure if I've been lucky or what.

Should I be adding some water to these?
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. purpurea is the only species that you would fill, and this would only be indoors. The uprights species' hoods are intended to keep rain OUT...they hold bugs by means of their steep pitchers and they secrete enzymes when needed. S. purpurea drowns its prey in a pool of collected rain.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay...so for a "Judith Hindle" Hybrid Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia ssp.), it should be fine without adding water?
    Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast