What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allaire state park in new jersey

i am going to allaire next weekend i know there are sundews and sarracenia there but i do not know the laws about collecting plants or seed. its not like im gonna whipe the whole area of plants i would take like 1 or 2 plants i just wanted to know if anyone knows about laws for new jersey.

thanks

no no no no no. don't even think about it. theres no reason to take anything except pictures (PICtures, not PITchers). we already have enough problems with poachers and we don't need someone else to worry about.

don't even think about it. if you want plants you can buy or trade for them like the rest of us.

sorry i was just wondering what the laws were i planned on taking pictures rather then plants.

The laws are the same everywhere. No collecting of wild material for any reason or purpose. IF and WHEN a plant needs rescue, there are special groups who do this. Not only could it hurt the environment but major fines can and usually will be imposed upon you and you still will not get to keep the plants.
I understand most people think 1 or 2 plants will not hurt but the truth is that almost everyone thinks this. Therefore if 3,000 people collect 1 or 2 plants each...........that is an entire micro-ecosystem that has been wiped out.

Joe

i know what you mean and i read in savage garden about 50,000 fines in carolina and i was not sure whether or not the laws were the same.

An individual can't collect anything in a state/national park.  That's the purpose in making an area a park...

I would agree that it's not legal to collect from a park(w/o permission of course), but otherwise, it is not illegal to collect, unless the plants are protected. Unless somebody knows a law that I don't.
Now the majority of the cp community frowns on collection, but I think the general rule of thumb by the ICPS is one seed pod out of each 50 present(don't know about that for sure , and I can't look it up). I do not think it condones collection of plants, unless as stated above, where they are going to get plowed.

Joe

What about pollen? Is it illegal to collect it?

if its illegal to colect wild plant material, then how do people collect wild nep seeds?
do you need a permit or something?
Hellz

im sure you can obtain a permit for collecting. unless perhaps the plant is endangered

i've collected alot of wild plants and other rare stuff like orchids for trade, however it was on my own property and i have myself permission and nothing was endangered. also, i only took a small, small fraction of what was there.

i've never collected any cp's , i have however gone on bog raids and rescued sarrs what were going to be destroyed from delevopment "with permission"

Hmm, how about collecting cps like U. inflata, who naturalized in Washington. From what I heard is becoming a pest up there.

Collecting seed can be very helpful to the local plant population.  A S. purpurea's seeds get distributed over a very small area, so if you collect a seed pod and distribute half of the seed around the bog and keep half, you've helped that plant's reproductive chances, even though you've left with some seed.

When I lived in Maine, I'd take a ripe Trillium seed pod if I came upon a few during a day in the field.  I would leave seeds here and there as I did my thing.  I never kept any, but just did a Johnny Trilliumseed act.  I think Trilliums ordinarily rely on ants, not geologists, to scatter seeds.  It isn't a perfect method, but ants do carry them undergound.

Hellz -

We're talking about the United States, specifically in parks. There aren't many international plant laws (CITES being an obvious exception).

Ice Dragon,

Unless it's in a protected park, I would imagine it's open season on invasive Utrics, lol.

Joe

but does anyone know of where to go to find specific laws? i have tried the parks website and i believe the dep's site and nothing came up about carnivorous plants. i would do the spread seed thing but if its like carolina with 50,000 dollar fines i don't wanna touch the seed. i believe s.purpurea is also the only pitcher in new jersey too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Aug. 15 2004,6:59)]IF and WHEN a plant needs rescue, there are special groups who do this.

Joe
I did take a nap for awhile, did I miss something?

If Jim and sarraceniaobssessed did not head down to the site that was to be destroyed, there would be no plants now from that location.

Exactly which "special groups" are you speaking?

How many strip malls have plowed over a beautiful field of sarracenia - never to be seen again?

Where were those "special groups"?

Tweek

"special groups" only help if they know about it. if i ever find cp's in danger i'll be the first one there! i won't wait for "special groups" to get there.

Back