User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seed pod maturation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a S. alata (supposedly - I bought it at Wal-Mart) that has two seed pods. They are green now. How long until they mature and what should I look for so I don't lose the seed. I want to give them away as other people have been so generous with their seed. Thanks! - A former lurker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my pods is just starting to go brown, but most split in September. As soon as you see a pod starting to go brown and split then you can rip it open. They take a couple of weeks to split enough for the seeds to fall out, so you have plenty of time to get the seeds.
    Your plant will have needed to have been pollinated with another flower on another plant to get decent seed set though.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait untill it starts to die then the seed should be mature
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you find S. alata (or any Sarr for that matter) at Wal-mart? In a normal pot, or a dome-thing?

I would repeat what others have said - September is the usual time (though I've had one S. alata split this year already), and the pod will turn brown and crack. Check on a daily basis, and harvest as soon as it happens.

- Patrick
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it at a Wal-Mart in Spruce Pine, NC. It was in an open pot - they had about 8-10 plus some flytraps. I have also bought a S. purpera there that is doing quite nicely...