User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Germination..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long would it take for Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, and Cephalotus to germinate? and how long does it take for it to be really big?

im thinking about growing some (if im able to get some), but i live in NYC i dont know if they can handle our winters, i have a terrarium, but i was told to keep them outside..i donno what to do, help me out! thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it took my darlingtonia seeds about a 3-4 weeks to germinate. i just left it in a cup of water until they sprouted. it will take it about 4 years to actually start looking like an adult.i dont think they need to be overwintered in their first few years so you can keep them in your terrarium.

my sarr took me the same amount of time, 3-4 weeks, but that was after stratification. takes about 3 years to actually start looking like adults, maybe more to get them to flower. they dont need winter for the first few years so you can keep them in your terrarium.

i cant help you with the other 2, sorry. never had experiance in them, althrough i wish i did [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was given S. alata seeds in February and it took a few weeks fro them to sprout. My biggest plant is 1".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can take anything from 2 weeks to a few months to germinate, althought the average is 4 or 5 weeks for me.
    By the end of year one you will have very small plants about 3-6cm tall and if you skip the first dormancy you can get sizeable plants in year 2. I have an alata x flava which is 20 months old and 20cm tall.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, Sarracenia take 10 days to germinate following a 4-week stratification.

Their speed of growth depends on how warm they are, how brght the light is, and the media they are grown in.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the enviroment matters as much. In my experience, the species usually has their own times of sprouting. Like Alta's take longer and are harder to sprout then say most Leucophylla's
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062