What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there something to ne said for just giving up?

ive tried to grow Darlingtonia once before, last year, and it was a total failure. about 3 or 4 months ago i recieved my second one in a package containing 20 different CPs as a sort of starter pack from a member. my first one i did everything right. open airy media. watering with cool water daily and it died. this one i didnt expect anything of. it was a lil clump you could cover with a quarter and pitchers about 1 to 2 inches tall. i just threw it in a pot of peat, placed it in my tray system with my tropical and temprate Drosera, Pings, and such and expected to have a dead plant in a few weeks. the thing has darn near doubled in hieght and size in the last few months and seems quite happy. so following the general accept principles of growing species doesnt always work. the exact opposite can work sometimes too.

Rattler

Rattler,
The funny thing about plants is they don't read books and are not on chat forums. The best thing to do is understand the basic cultural requirments and experiment from there. Let us know how you do.

My darlingtonia sit along the shady side of the house in a tray of water. 50/50 soil mix, just about no direct sun at all. When I'm watering plants along the house if I remember I hose it down and it's doing well too. I think they're the kind of plant that hates fussy attention. I forget I have them most times
smilie4.gif

Mine just get carried downstream, never to be seen again.  
smile_m_32.gif

I have been considering trying Darlingtonia with Aeroponics and a water chiller.
Any suggestions?

Joe

I bought one and put it out on the porch with my sarrs. It was looking good and growing for a while and then the new leaves started turning black on the tips. This plauge of sorts spread down to the growing point and no new growth has sprouted since. I checked today and the rizome has rotted. But I have a little baby cobra that I recieved in a bag of live shagnum moss. A tiny red pitcher is sprouting from it but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

i'm growing mine at risk under the shade of the sarrs outside with no special attention. i'm hoping for the best and it's not dead yet so who knows?

Mine does best in she shady alleyway. Only a few hrs of sun daily, and it stays cooler there. I keep it in tray watering and never touch it. It is growing! My pitchers are almost 3 inches tall from the inch bit I got close to 3 years ago: how's that for success! I am actually getting hoods!

even though two cobra lilies died on me, i still continue.

i grow mine under full sun and in a water tray system along with my other CP.

whenever my local lowes in FL Got them i just used them as trading material, but its alot easier here in colorado lol

I've never had any luck growing Darlingtonia outside here in Georgia (go figure, with our 95 degree summers...lol).

This year, I tried something new. I bought one of the 3" pots at Lowe's and stuck it under my lamps in a tray of water with my Sarracenia seedlings. It is doing very well! I am getting 3 pitchers sent up at a time, no joke. I'm getting a bit of red in the hood and tongue. About a month ago, it sent a runner out and now there is a baby plant in the pot with it.

This has been going on for about 4 months. Supposing the wonder continues, I will just put the plant, pot and all, in a plastic bag and stick in the refridgerator for 3 months this winter and then put it back under the lamps.

- Patrick

Back