Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia viable seeds ready in july

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey -

I posted back on July 9 about Sarracenia seeds already being harvested because the seed pod on my S. jonesii browned and cracked. Well, I stratified the seeds for 4 weeks in the fridge on a peat/sand mix and they have been under lights for 3 weeks.

I am happy to report that most seeds (~85%) sprouted after 10 days under lights and are now sending up their first pitchers. So, apparently seed can be viable even if it only took 2 months to mature (May and June).

Has anyone else had experience here? I believe Brooks also had an early seed harvest. Have you tried growing those? If so, with any success?

In any case, I thought it would be interesting to add this to the knowledge base, because I haven't heard about it before and it's commonly held that seeds mature through May, June, July, and August before being ready in September.

- Patrick
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick, Remember, plants don't read. They will do whatever feels right to them to do. That usually equals a few surprises for growers!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrick,
    Yes, my seeds have germinated as well and I continue to have pods dry. Most of my seeds are still in the fridge. When Jim Miller and I were bogging last September, we visited Bob Hanranahan and he asked us to help harvest some of the seeds from his bog. All of the pods were still very green but the seeds inside looked ready. He assured us they were ready and indeed they are. That is good info to have so you can get a jump start on the winter seed growing season. All my young seedlings come inside and grow under lights for the winter.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's good to hear. i have some seeds that dried early from an antho-free leuco x rubra jonesii i was going to give away on the trading post forum when i get around to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pods ripe now. I will be offering it en masse with no names attached since fertilization was uncontrolled. I imagine there will be some new and beautiful forms as a result. This is the first time I haven't deadheaded the plants and I am going to have a TON of seeds!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have collected seed in July even with some of the seed being green and got good germination
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last year, in a judith hindle seed capsule, i noticed a seed that had germinated while in the capsule. has anyone ever noticed that before? very strange indeed. and it was definitely a germinated seed, and not something else. i stuck it in some soil, but it died soon after.

Last year I had about a dozen seeds inside the pod actually germinate. Only about half of the pod was even dried. I quickly planted the seedlings and they continued to grow. In the following winter I kept them outside, and all perished. This year I'm curious to see if the same plant has this happen again.
    imduff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast