What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia rubra in georgia

Hey -

I have really gained interest recently in the population of Sarracenia rubra in west middle Georgia.  I have read about them from two sources, one calling them ssp. rubra and another spp. gulfensis.  Does anyone know which they are, or if anyone really knows which they are?  If they are one or the other, what explains their disjunct location?  I'm only familiar with 1 plant, and it doesn't look like ssp. rubra or ssp. gulfensis (or really any of the others).

Maybe it's Sarracenia rubra ssp. georgiana.
smile_m_32.gif

- Patrick

well im not sure on the georgia population, but there are alot of rubra ssp.s
Ssp. rubra
ssp. gulfensis
ssp. wherryi
ssp. jonessi
ssp. alabamensis
there might be some more and im not sure on the spellings

I know about those five, and they are they only five published. But their ranges do not touch the population in question.

well probably ssp rubra is in georgia, since all the others mostly grow in alabama, i also know S. Oreophilla is native there, have you met JLAP? He lives in atlanta also, and knows of a place where you can find S. Oreophilla in their native habitat

There are some rubra rubra near coastal Georgia. The variety in western Georgia is sometimes called the "ancestral" form. Phil Sheridan did all the work locating these plants. It exists in a few Georgia Counties, and that's it. I can't remember what he calls it but, he is supposed to publish a description of this new variety. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it, even offer it for sale. It's a nice little plant, different from all the other varieties already described.
imduff

Yes, I am aware of its niceness and differentness; I have one from him already! That is what has put me in love with the plant.

Thanks.

The population in mid Geogia is disjunct from all the other areas according to my information, but is most likely to be ssp. rubra like those on the coast.

PT, It is from Taylor County, called ssp. gulfensis "ancestral" form. It looks like a typical rubra ssp. rubra to me, and doesn't look like any of my gulfensis. It does resemble (closely) my rubra ssp. rubra from Brunswick County, N.C.

I've talked to Phil Sheridan and he says that they're almost done with a paper about the plant...it will be named as a distinct variety.

From D. Schnell:

'What does grow in the county [Taylor County, Georgia] to this day is a variety of S. rubra that is rather tall, has an expanded top, and has closest affinity to subspecies gulfensis of that species'.

In case anyone's interested I posted a photo of my new specimen of the ancestral rubra in the photo thread.

I think it's a great looking plant with nice coloring. It really doesn't look like my gulfensis plants at all.

Glad to hear someone else say that (about gulfensis). Everyone is so happy to accept that it's gulfensis, but it simply doesn't look the same!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a botanist (yet, anyway), and I know appearances aren't everything. But these ancestral plants are just so different.

Back