Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia rubra in georgia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey -

I have really gained interest recently in the population of Sarracenia rubra in west middle Georgia. I have read about them from two sources, one calling them ssp. rubra and another spp. gulfensis. Does anyone know which they are, or if anyone really knows which they are? If they are one or the other, what explains their disjunct location? I'm only familiar with 1 plant, and it doesn't look like ssp. rubra or ssp. gulfensis (or really any of the others).

Maybe it's Sarracenia rubra ssp. georgiana. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

- Patrick
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im not sure on the georgia population, but there are alot of rubra ssp.s
    Ssp. rubra
    ssp. gulfensis
    ssp. wherryi
    ssp. jonessi
    ssp. alabamensis
    there might be some more and im not sure on the spellings
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know about those five, and they are they only five published. But their ranges do not touch the population in question.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well probably ssp rubra is in georgia, since all the others mostly grow in alabama, i also know S. Oreophilla is native there, have you met JLAP? He lives in atlanta also, and knows of a place where you can find S. Oreophilla in their native habitat
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

There are some rubra rubra near coastal Georgia. The variety in western Georgia is sometimes called the "ancestral" form. Phil Sheridan did all the work locating these plants. It exists in a few Georgia Counties, and that's it. I can't remember what he calls it but, he is supposed to publish a description of this new variety. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it, even offer it for sale. It's a nice little plant, different from all the other varieties already described.
    imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am aware of its niceness and differentness; I have one from him already! That is what has put me in love with the plant.

Thanks.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The population in mid Geogia is disjunct from all the other areas according to my information, but is most likely to be ssp. rubra like those on the coast.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PT, It is from Taylor County, called ssp. gulfensis "ancestral" form. It looks like a typical rubra ssp. rubra to me, and doesn't look like any of my gulfensis. It does resemble (closely) my rubra ssp. rubra from Brunswick County, N.C.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast