Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough heliamphora?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if any Heliamphora are tougher then others.
    I'm about to lose my second one of Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor. My first was the PFT special, and the second was a small plant from a fellow grower. It did last a lot longer, a month compared to 4 days, but is about to die.

The conditions which I supplied for them is as follows:

I pot mine in a 4" pot. I used LFS, perlite, peatmoss, and lava rock for my soil mix. I placed it in my terrarium. Day time temp's in the mid 80's / the humidity around 50%. Night the temp dropped to the mid 70's / humidity around 78%. I have 2 - 15 watt florescent light on for 13 hours a day.

I would love to grow a sunpitcher of somekind, but I'm having trouble with this plant. It makes it very discouraging to try again. Do my conditions sound favarable to sunpitchers?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grow the same plant as you, as well as heterodoxa "gran sabbana" (spelling?)

my conditions are almost the same, except my humidity is in the low 80's and i have stronger light (440 watts) on for 14 hours a day. i use pure lfs. they are growing much, much faster than i thought they would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit:

i'm thinking about increasing day temps to 90 degrees, night temps to mid 80's. i'll see how this works out. i dont think they'll do well but who knows. also thinking of decreasing humidity to 75%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Send them to me ill take care of em [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] jk

First, i would lower the temperatures a bit. Please keep in mind that heliamphoras are more prone to root rot than sarracenia, and like to be dried out a bit in between waterings... (IME!)

Second, Give it a better potting soil... I highly reccomend adding some LFS to the mix, and vermiculite... This worked wonders for me.

Lastly, how far away are the lights? I reccoment adding some more light, you'll be more likely to get more lusher, redder, pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I water this plant like I water all my sarrs. Maybe I should water less like I do for my ceph. I believe it's too late for this plant.
    How much water do most of you growers here water your plants?

Next one I get, if I get another I can try less water and some vermiculite in the soil mix, I already use LFS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i water when the very top of the live sphag looks like it needs watering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing maybe your temps are too high? Really though, my heterodoxa x minor is a very easy grower. IT's in my terrainium with temps in the 75-80 for the day and 65-70 for the night. It is also potted in 100% pure sphagnu moss.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I placed my temp and humidity guage in the terrarium last night to get some readings again. It was a long time ago when I took them.
    I was surprised that my humidity was as high as it was. It was at 78%. The temp at 79 degrees. I'm going to take readings for around a month and see what it is actually doing in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast