Thread: Tropical sarracenia o.o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hello everyone!
    Got another question to test your lights. ^_^

A nursery sellsman told me that Sarracenia Dana's Delight was a tropical, so it doesn't need dormancy...can this be true? I thought all Sarracenias required a dormant period in winter...what gives?
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, u r correct, Sszvein.

All Sarracenia hyrbrid and species need winter dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Dana's Delight' was bred in Hawaii, and requires a minimal dormancy period. We cut back on water when the weather starts to cool off here in south Florida, usually around the end of November to early December, and they're producing phyllodia by late December. They come out of dormancy for us in late February.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're saying it's a "I'm not growing" dormancy, rather than a "my leaves die and I sleep beneath the earth" dormancy?

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia grow in temperate climates, and they go dormant in their natural habitat. The commonly accepted belief is that all Sarracenia need dormancy. However, dormancy is relatively strong in some plants, and relatively weak in others. It is true that many plants that go dormant in a temperate climate cannot grow in a tropical climate. However, some plants can, although they may not be as vigorous.

S. purpurea may need dormancy because it goes through very cold winters in its natural habitat. However, most Sarracenia grow further south, in Florida, where winters are mild, so dormancy may be weaker in these species. In fact, some Sarracenia species are able to grow in a tropical climate. In addition, hybrids can handle a wider range of temperatures than their parents.

Kim Magnusen of Tristan’s Carnivorous Plants hybridized Dana’s Delight. He lives in Hawaii, which has a tropical climate, and keeps his Sarracenia outdoors throughout the year. I happened to visit his nursery and saw his plants. They were healthy, and many had pitchers three feet high. He has a few comments about dormancy on his website at http://www.tristanscps.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=3&tabid=4. I believe it has been a few years since he updated this page of his website, and he has now been in Hawaii more like 5-6 years rather than 3 years.

Dana’s Delight is not native to the tropics, so it is not a tropical Sarracenia per se. I believe it is Willisii x leucophylla. So more accurately, it is a hybrid that is able to grow in a tropical climate. And a nice one at that!
    [I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh, very enlightening!
    Thank you!

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, this thread caught my attention. can someone clarify for me? do ALL s. x's not require dormancy? I have a bunch, and that would put a kink in my plans for the winter....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mcrwt644 @ Sep. 16 2004,8:23)]ok, this thread caught my attention. can someone clarify for me? do ALL s. x's not require dormancy? I have a bunch, and that would put a kink in my plans for the winter....
    they all DO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast