What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia idea...

I was just chatting a bit with Starman, when I thought of a way of growing darlingtonias, so Im asking to see if its stupid or not.

I am in the process of building a terrarium for plants, and Im gonna put a waterfall in there.
So am I right in thinking that most CPs dont really have any nutrien exchange from their potting medium?
If this is so, Darlingtonias COULD be planted in gravel in or right by the waterfall, no?
this way it would get cold and moving water constantly.

So whaddya think, could this work?

/Quensel

Ya know I thought of trying Darlingtonia in hydroponics with a chiller.
I have never had them so I don't know if ti'll work but......won't know till ya try.

Joe

i think either Darcie or Flytrapgirl has done this.

Does anyone know if they had any success with it?
I'd love to try, but here, these plants are quite pricy, and I really wouldnt want to kill one if it can be avoided...
Me wants to be a good daddy
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 17 2004,6:21)]i think either Darcie or Flytrapgirl has done this.
Darcie & Goldtrap2690 have successfully rigged things.

Cobra Lily's aren't expensive. www.flytraps.com

if you have cash thats burning a hole in your wallet, then you can buy a small aquarium chiller (about 200 bucks) to cool down their water.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So am I right in thinking that most CPs dont really have any nutrien exchange from their potting medium?

they do.... don't they?

Yes, they do draw nutrition from the environment via their roots needed for their good growth and health. The question is how much and how fast?

well Im not in a position to order online, unfortunately.
Here, cobras are about 35$ which is not totally expensive, but at the same time not really cheap either.
Ok, so they do draw nutrients from their potting medium; can they be potted in lfs? In that case they can still be planted in a way that water is in constant motion at the roots (I read that moving water is more important than cold water..)

I've been thinking of trying this someday with the cobra lilies I have (garden store rescues... although one has a head the size of a golf ball... pretty neat).

My initial idea would be to use one of those tall hexagonal aquariums... around 5 gallons I guess. I'd pile LFS into the bottom so the plants would be planted high enough to be up out of the water. I'd use a hang-on power filter to create the water fall. Hopefully I could find some tubing the right size to replace the power filter input and snake it down through the LFS into the bottom of the tank. Ice could be dropped into the filter periodically to let cold water gradually flow through. I assume there'd be a few inches of water in the bottom at all times. A cover on the top would keep the humidity up easily. Again, hopefully the plants would be up high enough that the roots wouldn't be in the water.

Keep in mind I barely know what I'm doing with these plants, so whether it would work or not I can't say. Comments are welcome.

Hmm, couldn't you get a pump like they use for outdoor fountains? This way you wouldn't dump so much water into the medium, as you would with an aquarium filter (hang on power filter?).

I've been contemplating yet another experiment for the next Lowes purchase. I have tried anchoring a container to the edge of our streamlet - but that got washed away by a torrential rain storm. I tried putting another under a pvc pipe that constantly dripped air conditioning water discharge. For my next trick, I plan on dangling it from an outfall pipe in a hanging basket, into the water. It shouldn't get carried off this time - I hope.

Back