Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun amount during dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in CT and I bury pots and cover plants with leaves and a lean-to. The pots freeze solid and stay that way for a long time. I think repeated freezing and thawing causes much more damage.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is some experience that may help. Two winters ago here in Atlanta(zone 8) we had consecutive weekends that went to 18F then followed by 8F. My bogs are above ground and froze solid as a block of ice; sarracenias, pings, droseras, and VFT, all rock solid for a good two weeks with not one single plant was lost.

One Terra Forum member last winter housed his entire sarr collection sub aquadically all winter with no losses. Fungus cannot grow under water.

These plants have adapted to environmental changes over 1000s of years. They are much hardier than we give them credit for.

Food for thought.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in southern ohio we get long freezing periods... though we also get swings in temp pretty bad also. One day it will be snowing and the next you don't even need a jacket.

for those who keep yours buried in the ground and mulched... do you trim all your plants down to the ground or does that pop out of the mulch? (sars)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to keep the pitchers and phylodia vertical as I put the leaves on. So the taller ones stick out of the leaves. Not only does that allow them to get more light, it helps keep the oak leaves from packing down.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about covering VFTs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12