What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy questions

This is my first year growing CP's. So this will be my first winter dormancy period. I live in San Diego, so my growing season lasts a long time.
I have a few questions though.
Is dormancy triggered by lower temps or reduced photoperiod?
The reason I ask is, I have my sarrs on the front porch. I (actually my landlord) has a bright (27 watt) power compact porch light that comes on when it gets dark, then goes off in the morning. The plants are about 8 feet away from the light (small porch).
The light isn't REAL bright by the plants, its kinda like 7:00 PM all night long.
Will this screw up the plants going dormant? the plants don't seem to be growing any slower yet.
Also, anyone got pics of sarr phyllodia? I know what they are, just don't know what they look like.

Photoperiod definitely affects dormancy, and seems to be the principle mechanism to induce the plants to slow down. Because you are in San Diego, which is roughly as "far north" as South Carolina, you should have no problem. Night temps down into the 40's and 50's is fine.
The porch light brings up an interesting question. Our plants experience some light pollution and it does not seem to affect them, but the lights are a considerable distance from the Sarrs. I know some Cattleya orchids will not bloom in the presence of an incandescent bulb burning all night. Maybe the spectrum of an incandescent bulb is all wrong for Sarracenia, and they don't respond to it.

Trent

I looked at the pics and none of my plants have those type of leaves yet.
Still wondering about the light though, it's a compact flourescent not incandescent.

Back