What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lily's soil

Hi, I have 3 questions to ask.
The first 1 is that is pure LFS moss for cobra lily?
and the second questions is that is it normal for the leaves have kinda brown and reddish near the base? And how do u no if it is not doing well?

my bad, i forgot a word in the first question. wat i mean was that is it ok to use pure LFS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (huy716 @ Oct. 09 2004,9:46)]my bad, i forgot a word in the first question.  wat i mean was that is it ok to use pure LFS.
I've used it with success
Also it's normal for some of the plants to have a reddish tinge... not sure about brown though allthough it could be a sign of dormancy

I use 100% sphagnum moss. Do the brown parts look like little splotches? If so it's a result of digesting a lot of prey, think of it as indigestion. It does no harm.

If your plant has plenty of nice looking green pitchers then I would say it is doing well.

No, the spots don't look like splotches. The spots are bright red to dark red in the outside, but within the spots it have a bit brown. It is almost look like a target for gun pratice.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Oh I know what those are. Your Cobra has been a gluttonous pig and has consumed so many bugs parts of the pitcher are rotting. I wouldn't worry about it though as it's pretty common. Don't clip the pitcher though as it's still digesting food/photosynthesizing.

nice name, are u vietnamese/? u got the same name as i do!

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
REALLY? IT IS AMAZING. My name is really easy to tell. Where u live? I live in San Jose, CA.

Cobra Lilys do well in 1/2 peat and 1/2 sand or perlite. That's what i do.

It's ok that the leaves are brown/red at the bottom, mine are like that and i've grown them well for a year or two now.

When mine weren't doing well for a time, the heads turned black and sorta shiveled up. Basically, if it doesn't look like it normally does, it's either in shock (from transplant etc.) or it's in trouble...

The splotches sometimes appear as a result of ageing too.

Back