Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leucophylla extinct in georgia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading the fish & wildlife website that stated as of 1998, a single population of leucophylla hadn't been found in the last 8 years.

Just wondered if anyone knew one way or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. leucophylla is supposed to grow in SW Georgia. It sounds worrying but not particularly surprising [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one site is being actively protected by ABG
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While selling plants at the Mount's Botanical Garden Plant Sale last spring in West Palm Beach, a woman walked up and struck up a conversation about Sarracenia. She was telling me about a place in Georgia where her husband hunts and fishes, and on the property are hundreds of white topped pitcher plants growing in a bog. They are visible from the road, and are a beautiful sight at certain times of the year. She then pointed to some Tarnok's we had for sale, and she exclaimed, "They look exactly like that, only much bigger!' This definitely perked my attention. I showed her a flava, and asked, "Are you sure they weren't these, with the yellow lid?" Oh no. They have those up there too, but it's the white top plants that are so pretty!" I asked her more about the "Georgia leucos", and all she could tell me is that they are way out in the country, and that you drive up i-75 to Tifton, and then go east. That's all she could remember, because her husband was driving. I asked how long ago, and she claimed that she saw them "last fall". She took a business card, wrote down my email, and said her husband will be in touch. Never heard a word back.
    Point of the story: maybe there's more leucos in Ga. than we thought. Hopefully.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

Great story. Nice to hear there are probably more plants still out there.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my cousin went to college in tifton, i'll ask him about it. he told me he saw s. minor there, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is indeed a stand of leucos in GA. As Mike mentioned it is currently very well protected and looked after by the Atlanta Botanical Garden. It's location has been successfully kept secret and I would like to request that if anyone does have any information about the location that they DO NOT publish it or post it anywhere. This site is already being actively sought by poachers.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think it would be a good idea to post the location of that site............but only after positioning a couple of guys with M600 .50 caliber sniper rifles in the area.
    It would be a good place for some of our military to get some “live fire” training.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast