What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saracenia "schnells ghost"

i was looking through species of sarracenia..
and noticed one called "schnells ghost"
I love how it is all white without pigment at the top.

but I cant find one anywhere.
is it me not looking in the right place?
or do people just not sell that species?

good luck..

Oh they are out there.. Usually only available from division so you won't see them frequently.

Patch, I remember seeing the topic somewhere. A search in TF yielded nothing, but in another forum, a couple of references were made to Mike King, who is one of our moderators. Try a PM to him.

It is very frustrating to see a beautiful plant like 'Schnell's Ghost' picture somewhere, know that is is a registerd cultivar but not be able to obtain one. 'Schnell's Ghost' seems to be a sought after plant but relatively unavailable. I wonder why no one has TCed this plant? If I understand correctly leucos TC quite easily.

Here is one from my collection:

S_leucophylla_schnells_ghost_front.jpg

S_schnells_ghost_spider.jpg

S_leucophylla_schnells_ghost_back.jpg

S_leuco_schnellsghost.jpg

Looks nice Nick ;> I like the green and white spider you got to go along with it hehe. Very color coordinated!

Tony

Schnell's Ghost is an old favorite among collectors. Schnell's Ghost was found in Baldwin County, Alabama, outside Perdido in the late 60's/early 70's. It found its way into collections in Britain and Australia, and across the United States through divisions and trade. It was erroneously reported to be anthocyanin free in D'Amatos book, "The Savage Garden." Schnell's Ghost is not anthocyanin free as evidenced by the red growing points, the occasional red vein, and the fact red appears when the leaf is dying. Anthocyanin free plants have no red anywhere, especially the growing points, and no red in the leaves, even during the death of a leaf. A genetic misfire, the yellow flowers caused some confusion about the plant for some time. Since Schnells' Ghost is in the hands of some Forum members, perhaps a trade could be made with the person who started this thread. Schnell's Ghost is a welcome addition to any serious collection, and stands out among any highly colored plants, like the proverbial sore thumb. A beautiful baby!

since I'm already here and there's nothing else I can contribute, I'll just ID the spider (sort of )
biggrin.gif

that's a crab spider. I love them because they're just so cool! They can even slowly change color (that's why you usually see a yellow spider on a yellow flower and so on) whats sad is that the female lays eggs, guards them until they hatch, and then dies. good mommies!
http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/information/Thomisidae.html

if anyones got a spare thays available, I would love it if you can contact me as I am loking for any all white forms, noted by my sig. but contact the person who started the thread first.

Kirk

I appreciate the offer to have schnell traded with me.
but I did more research on them.

I dont have the room, nor the equipment to grow them and do dormancy.
I also dont have anything to trade.

I only have a S purpurea (a sickly looking one at that)
I am a beginner, and since these seem to be highly prized, I wouldnt want to be the cause of death for them.

I'll wait until I am a more experienced grower, and have a place to put them ;)

'Schnells Ghost' is nice but I think variety alba is better. It has a solid white top with green below. I'm not sure of the formal status of this variety - is it a form, variety, nickname?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Oct. 14 2004,4:16)]'Schnells Ghost' is nice but I think variety alba is better. It has a solid white top with green below. I'm not sure of the formal status of this variety - is it a form, variety, nickname?
"schnells ghost"
thats the nickname.

S. leucophylla is what it is.. but the nickname for the specific one I would like is "schnells ghost"

i think thats what you were asking?

i thought the 'name here' was its nickname?
guess not
smile_k_ani_32.gif

yeah I thought schnells ghost came froma small alabama town outside of perido, the land got destroyed or something, but they saved some plants, same case with S. Purp chipola, came from chipola river, FL

Not quite, Kirk. Schnell told Joe Mazrimas that he found it while out bogging, long ago. He thought it unique enough to take a piece, and spread it around. The site may be gone now, but the site was healthy and strong then. Only Don Schnell knows that answer, and I haven't called him for a while. Maybe I will.

I meant is alba a nickname or official status, not 'Schnell's Ghost'.
smile.gif

Alba

Someone, Alvin, wrote something I read, but cannot remember where it came from, on this subject. They wanted to lump the Citronelle "albas" in with the Schnells Ghost, and use it as a common description. I myself find the Citronelle plants different enough from the Perdido plants to warrant being called "alba". The Ghost has green veining all through the top, whereas "alba" can have some veining, but for the most part, the top is more white than the Ghost. Flowers are yellow, too, but the tops are very different. Overall form is all leucophylla, but the coloration is different, and consistant. Ask Brooks (SarraceniaObsessed) to share the article with you. Interesting, but I do not agree with it. Differences may be minor, but different enough to give some serious thought.

Back