What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First dormacy

This is my first time for dormacy for my sarracenias. I live in Hawaii so its always in the 80s here, so I'll have to put them in the refrigerator. What I was wondering is how do you prepare the plant. Are you supposed to just put the bulb part in a ziploc and take off all the pitchers? do you keep it still in the soil?
I have no idea and I have little space too.

Any help would be appreciated
biggrin.gif
thanks

I have usually left mine in the pots in their soil, but if you don't have room do do that with all your plants then to make the most of your limited space, you will need to clean the soil from the rhyzome as well as trim the pitchers. If you have had problems with fungus, you should treat them with a fungicide also. Whether you use fungucide or not, it's a good idea to check them periodically. If you find fungus, rinse the rhyzome under running tap water and remove as much of the fungus as you can. Follow this with a quick rinse with purified water and apply fungicide, then put the rhizome into a fresh ziplock and place it back in the fridge to finish its dormancy. Some people feel that a gradual cooling of temps and shortening of light exposure is necessary for plants to have a good dormancy. if you can give them this fine, but other wise, toss them into the fidge. The first couple years I had my VFTs and a couple of my temperate dews, I put them straight into the fridge and they did fine.

I also have some Sarrs going dormant. I live in San Jose, California, so, should i just leave them on my windowsill and keep the soil dampish?
confused.gif

Sarracenias generally come from the southeastern part of America. They see all four seasons and most of them live through frosts. Reduced lphotperiod is a must, but cooler temps is a part of the equation. Do you have a way to get things cooler as well?

NepenthesMaster, I also live in San Jose, California. Rest assured your Sarrs, VFT's, temperate dews (like filliformis) even most sub-tropicals like capensis and binata will all survive the winter just fine outside. I leave all my outdoor plants outside year round. They do their dormancy thing all on their own very happily. You should be fine. I simply move my collection under the patio awning where they will get morning sun and shelter from the rain and I have never had any problems whatsoever. If you water on the tray method, stop. Leave the trays empty and top water every few days to keep the soil moist but not wet untill you see them start to emerge from dormancy in the spring.

Good luck
Steve

Back