What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus follicularis

it isnt very difficult, but isnt the easiest, starman could tell you all about them, theyre great windowsill growers

Moved to appropiate forum.

Sorry Im late, I didnt notice ths thread before.

Cephalotus follicularis comes from west australia, around albany, one of its common names is therefore albany pitcher.
They can be quite picky, and they like medium-high humidity and cool nights.
That is why a window is ideal, because of a temeprature drop.
I grow mine under s plastic bottle with ahole in it for Summer and I remove the bottle for winter.
The tray should only be reffiled after it has evaporated, after this, it is best to wait a few more days before reffiling the tray.
I dont reccomend spraying, because if too much water gets into the crown of the plant it will rot away.
They will grow in pure spaghnum, or a a peat spaghnum perlite mix.
They should ideally be in a wide and quite deep pot, so they can get nice and big. If the pot is too shallow, there is a risk of them rotting away.
They will make nice big clumps over time if they have enough room, these clumps can be divided.
I hope this helps!
Dino
cool.gif

Compost-40% milled lf sphag, 40% perlite, 10% sand, 10% peat.
Grow using the tray method, but when the tray goes dry let it stay that way for a few days before filling. It seems to appreciate that.
Excellent candidate under shoplight or other growlights.
Anyway, that is what works for me.

Cheers,

Joe

The cephalotus's that I have grown have not required high humidity. RH in my house is on average around 50%. Good airflow decreases the chance of rot taking hold.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (brisco225 @ Nov. 12 2004,1:55)]The cephalotus's that I have grown have not required high humidity.  RH in my house is on average around 50%.  Good airflow decreases the chance of rot taking hold.
Yes, about 50% is a good amount.

i grow mines under good lighting, 100% humidity, ryte now it is going nuts, pitchers everywhere

this is the last pix i took of it, but ryte now it has way more pitchers popping out
123-2330_IMG.JPG

Hi all:

Did someone say cephs?
smile_n_32.gif

You can grow them in pure LFS or a mixture of sand 50% and the other 50% a combination of peat, perlite, and chopped LFS. The nicest pitchers are formed when grown under high humidity conditions

Roots should be humid but not waterlogged. Mild fertilizer (osmocote) 6 pellets per 5 inch pot.

If plant is waterlogged, root rot attacks and kill the plant. Use trichoderma to prevent this. they love highland conditions

Gus

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ Nov. 14 2004,4:04)]i grow mines under good lighting, 100% humidity, ryte now it is going nuts, pitchers everywhere

this is the last pix i took of it, but ryte now it has way more pitchers popping out
123-2330_IMG.JPG
You want to be careful witht hat much humidity, it may cause crown rot and bring an end to your plant.

oh yea, i hav good air circulation, 2 fans installed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ Nov. 15 2004,5:44)]oh yea, i hav good air circulation, 2 fans installed
still, the humidity is very high.
I would consider lowering it.

Back