Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got some new plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I went to Lowes and i bought three cp's from them: A young cobra lilly, a large venus flytrap, and some kind of lance leaf sundew. They are in the same (small) pot, and i was wondering if I should seperate them now, or wait untill they go through dormancy. They are potted in what appears to be LFS from what I've seen on this website (what does LFS stand for anyway?). I am a newbie and I am also wondering if cobra lillies are really as hard to grow as I have read they are.
    Thanks,
    ati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFS = long fiber sphagnum moss. This is the dried, living moss of a sphagnum bog. It often comes back to life and makes a wonderful green place for CPs to live. Although it'll sometimes outgrow the smaller ones.

Where are you? If you're in northern California, the cobra lilies might feel at home. Here in CT, winter is too close and I'd keep all the plants together rather than risk root disturbance right before dormancy. But the answer will vary greatly depending on where you are and what your growing situation is.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Your lance leaf sundew aka Drosera adelae does not need dormancy btw.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I am also wondering if cobra lillies are really as hard to grow as I have read they are.
    As long as they experience chilly nights year around (under 60F) seems to be biggest factor.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it hurt my Adelae if I were to give it dormancy the first year? Would it hurt my other plants if I watered them with ice water (for the cobra lilly) untill I seperate them after dormancy?
    Thanks,
    ati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to force dormancy on D. adelae, kiss it goodbye.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the cold water may harm the Dionea as well.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any way to succesfully keep these plants together over the winter. Separating them is your best option.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank's! I seperated them, and they are all recovering nicely. One of the young pitchers on the cobra lilly is dying, but he other has started growing again, and it even has a new pitcher! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Thank's again,
    ati

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast