Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New cephalotus drying out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirk's mix is closer to the one I use. I notice you have a pretty fine silica sand there, and from my experience, even though Cephs enjoy some drainage, pure peat works better than peat/sand with that fine of a sand. It really seems to compact the mix.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add, adding a portion of milled sphagnum would help with that.
    Some would also endorse using some Superthrive in this situation.

Cheers,

Joe

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! for all your help! i really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]wezx, don't give up on it. Mine took a turn just like yours and every pitcher fell off! Now it's growing again.

You just need to cut down on watering and give it a bit less light and it'll start growing again! Less water because you wouldn't want it to rot in our humid December weather (means no tray method but just overhead watering) and less light to cut back on the amount of heat. Seems that they come back stronger after such "sudden death".

Anyway, remove the dried leaves and pitchers so that fungus won't have places to grow.

But the way, I don't use the tray method anymore for ceph. The time the pitchers all dried up was when I attempted to give it sunlight instead of just florescent lights. Well, I guess I overdid it and it just kind of "died". Now that it's growing again, I'm more careful. "
    I already have the heat and the rotting sorted out, there is a strong fan in my setup which eliminates all the heat. The water occasionally dries out so the plants aren't waterlogged (plus i won't know if them plants are getting enough water if i do the overhead watering [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] )

Quote[/b] ]Kirk's mix is closer to the one I use. I notice you have a pretty fine silica sand there, and from my experience, even though Cephs enjoy some drainage, pure peat works better than peat/sand with that fine of a sand. It really seems to compact the mix.
    thanks ill see what i can do [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Quote[/b] ]I was wondering where did you get this ceph?. I mean the name of the shop
    i traded it with a friend who traded it with his friend who's a cp collector in Germany

thanks guys! I really appreciate your help and experiences!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never grow Cephs before, but i've read about them, and it seems ok. Just keep growing it normally, and it should pull through the shock of transplant/transport.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12