What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stratifying again

No, I found a scientific paper on it a while ago which I printed out. Unfortunately it hasn't got the web address on it.

I find that it's quite difficult to get darlingtonia to keel over from having roots too hot. Growing seedlings at room temperature will be fine, but I would avoid heating the bottom of the containers.

I'll get a shot of my growing setup later on.

My experience for the past three winters has been similar to Bugweed's and his friend's in Texas. Here is a link to a web page I set up on what I do. Heat, light, and high humidity I find are the three keys to quick even germination. Crowding of the seedlings is not an issue at the beginning as I seperate them soon enough to avoid an over crowded situtation. I hope this is helpful. If there are any question, i am happy to respond.

http://hometown.aol.com/thombrogar/index.html

I have often wondered why CP people are afraid of bottom heat for sarracenia. Take a few readings with a soil thermometer out in a bog on a hot summer day, and you may be suprised to find heat readings in the low to high eighties at 2" in depth. Sometimes this heat creates vivid colors in your plants, but heat always help them grow well. Seedlings respond like crazy to bottom heat. And Brooks will tell you the same!

Its now 4 weeks and they are out. How long should it take for them to sprout?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Dec. 21 2004,12:41)]Its now 4 weeks and they are out. How long should it take for them to sprout?
Depending how fresh they are, anything between 1 week-4 months.

Yeah, it can take a while sometimes. Ones that don't sprout in the next couple of months will probably burst into life in the warm spring sun.

Back