What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid plants can't read

Well I noticed when I went home from lunch that my 'Ladies in waiting' has a new flower scape forming. Apparently it hasn't read the books I have. I tried to reason with it but it just sat there in scilence. Serously the flower has not opened, but is there any way this late in the season to save it? Had we not had some pretty heavy rain the past few days, that knocked down some of my pitchers, I probably would have never noticed it. Any ideas, or experiances?

It's certainly not that uncommon for Sarr's to flower late in the year. I've seen them every year I've grown them, except this year, strangely enough. With mine, it seems to be flava's and flava hybrids. I would probably just cut it off, since they should be going dormant now, and you don't want it to waste energy into a flower. All of mine that ever sent up a late bloom still bloomed again in the spring, and I always cut them off.

I've got a flower on a flava. It might grow so high but then the chances are that it'll abort.

Zak, A couple of people on the CPUK forum asked a similar question. Several replies were to the effect that the flowers stay dormant till spring when they will bloom at the normal time.

Thanks for the replies. I usually like to let nature take it's course, since thats what it's designed to do. I've never lost a plant because I didnt cut the flower scape so why start now. Will leave it alone and see what happens.

Yeah I know it`s weird alot of the uk cpers and Matti have there plants flowerin`. Quoteing darn forgot his name the guy who used to call me pondman "Plants do`nt read books".

Back