What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H.tatei taxonomy

Hello to all,

Does anyobody know the taxonomical differences between H.tatei type plants from Duida and the H.tatei f.macdonaldae also from Duida??? And what about H.tatei var.neblinae, how does this one supposedly differ, what characters identify it? I noticed in Jan Schlauer's CP database that he also considers valid H.tatei var.neblinae f.parva, anybody know why? Last of all, I noticed that another taxa has been described from Duida: H.tyleri. What was claimed different in this one?

Thanks,
Fernando Rivadavia

Since nobody answered me, I'll answer myself...
smile_m_32.gif
I obtained 2 different Heli keys, one from unknown origin through a friend, and another from CPN written by William Baumgartl. Both were rewritten/ adapted for this webpage by me. Enjoy!

Fernando Rivadavia

KEY 1

1.) A-- Anthers 16-20; lowest floral bract usually equaling or exceeding in height the lowest pedicels; plants of Territorio Federal Amazonas .......................................................2
B-- Anthers 7-15; lowest floral bract usually shorter than the lowest pedicel in height; plants of Estado Bolívar .........5

2.) A-- Upper interior portion of pitcher glabrous above the basal ring of hairs near water level..... H.tatei var.tatei f.macdonaldae
B-- Upper interior portion of pitcher densely pubescent above the basal ring of hairs near water level ..….…………………3

3.) A-- Upper pubescent zone of hairs mainly uniform,
c.0.8-2mm in length ………………........... H.tatei var.tatei f.tatei
B-- Upper pubescent zone of hairs not uniform, upper half with hairs c.0.2-1mm long, lower half with hairs c.1-1.2mm long ...........................…….………………………………………………...4

4.) A-- Exterior surface of pitcher +or- pubescent ..…......... H.tatei var.neblinae f.neblinae
B-- Exterior surface of pitcher glabrous …….……............. H.tatei var.neblinae f.parva

5.) A-- Interior of the upper ventricose portion of pitcher glabrous or nearly so, except for the basal zone of hairs.......6
B-- Interior of the upper ventricose portion of pitcher usually pubescent.…………………..……………………………………........8

6.) A-- Appendage of the pitcher absent or scarcely developed ….....................H.heterodoxa var.exappendiculata
B-- Appendage of the pitcher obviously developed,
30-40mm long ..............................................................7

7.) A-- Anthers 3-5mm long; upper ventricose portion of
pitcher occupying 1/4-1/3 of total length .…... H.minor f.laevis
B-- Anthers 5-8mm long; upper ventricose portion pitcher occupying 3/8-1/2 of total length …................ H.heterodoxa var.heterodoxa f.glabra

8.) A-- Some or all of the hairs in throat (excluding the basal ring of hairs) c.2-5mm in length, scattered or relatively distant from each other, or deciduous over glabrous surface .....................................................................9
B-- Hairs in throat (excluding the basal ring of hairs)
minute, like uniform velvet, c.0.5-1mm in length ….......……10

9.) A-- Pedicels glabrous; scapes 8-10 flowered; pitchers 40-50cm long; pitcher upper pubescent zone 14.5-19cm long, comprising 3/8 or more of whole pitcher length…….... H.ionasii
B-- Pedicels +or- pubescent; scapes 1-5 flowered; pitchers 2-22cm long; pitcher upper pubescent zone 2-3cm long, comprising 1/4-3/8 of whole pitcher length....... H.minor

10.) A-- Anthers 3-3.5mm long; upper pubescent zone 6-8.5cm long, comprising 1/3-3/8 of whole pitcher length, with +or- uniform hairs c.0.7-1mm long ………………….…….. H.nutans
B-- Anthers 5-8mm long; upper pubescent zone 7-18cm long, comprising 3/8-1/2 of whole pitcher length, mostly with hairs c.0.5-0.7mm long except for lowermost portion where hairs are c.0.7-1mm long ..………………...............H.heterodoxa

----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
KEY 2

1.) A-- Anthers <4.5mm long …………….……………….....………..2
B-- Anthers >4.5mm long …………….………..…….……………..5

2.) A-- Pedicels pubescent .…….…......………………...…………..3
B-- Pedicels glabrous ………………………….......….…H.nutans

3.) A-- Anthers 15 or more ..…………….…………........…H.ionasii
B-- Anthers >15; leaves usually 5-15cm tall …..........…4

4.) A-- Throat pubescent, ~1/3 or less of pitcher length ...….….....................................................................H.minor
B-- Throat smooth …………………………………...H.minor f.laevis

5.) A-- Pedicels glabrous, anthers <15 (never >16), stems unbranched ……………....................................................6
B-- Pedicels pubescent, anthers >15, stems occasionally branched …................................................................8

6.) A-- Lid well-developed ......H.heterodoxa var.heterodoxa
B-- Lid minimally developed ………………………………....……..7

7.) A-- Throat pubescent ...................................... H.heterodoxa var. exappendiculata
B-- Throat glabrous .......................................... H.heterodoxa var.exappendiculata f.glabella

8.) A-- Throat glabrous above pubescent ring or with hairs of equal length ….………..………………...…………...…...................9
B-- Throat pubescent, hairs tapered in length from 0.2-1.0mm at the top to 1-1.5 at pubescent ring……………………10

9.) A-- Throat glabrous above pubescent ring ……..................… H.tatei var.tatei f.macdonaldae
B-- Throat pubescent with hairs of equal length ………...............… H.tatei var.tatei f.tyleri

10.) A-- Pitcher exterior pubescent …………………………….…................ H.tatei var.neblinae
B-- Pitcher exterior glabrous ……………………...…................ H.tatei var.neblinae f.parva

Wow, I don't think most of us on this forum are up to that level of Cp Growing, LOL. Maybe some day...
that's interesting though, I never really noticed those minute details in the plants.

Dear Fernando:

Thanks for your lesson in Heliamphoras. It was about time someone will refresh our current knowledge. Without so much scientific description, i would say that H. tatei tatei have elongated nectar glands (needle like) while neblinae's are wider and flatter. Of course, i can't go into more details until i get familiarized with all the pitcher's parts to make an appropriate comparison.

Gus

Back