What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i was at a new lowes they built in my neighborhood and after it had been open for a month now i figured i would go see if there are cps and they had. nepenthes ventricosa, sarracenia flava reds, sarracenias asortment, drosera adaele, pings, cobra lily!!!

I had to get a cobra lily as it was unusual to find them here is a picture. Oh yeah and it actually is a cobra lily and isnt a sarracenia labeled as a cobra.
smile_n_32.gif

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg
smile_n_32.gif

That's a unique cobra - very short and fat
smile.gif

I would get rid of the plastic top, it'll just encourage botrytis. High humidity isn't essential and air movement will fend off rotting.

It was only like 4 dollars. It is very short and fat!! they had about 5 of them and i picked this one as it had 4 huge heads on it. unlike the others only had 1 or 2. It doesnt even fit in that container when i went to take the picture i took the top off and it hardly fits. it has huge roots visible on the bottom also. I am thinking of repoting it all together. Do you think it would be good to give it a plastic container with no hole in it as it might help keep it cool and damp?

well these were just shipped in like yesturday so they were alive but give them a week or 2 and they will be almost dead. sad to say but its true with home depot and lowes as there least concern is plants.
confused.gif

yeah, occasionally you find a good deal on a neglected plant with them, usually i find sarras, and cobras in pretty bad shape for .50 cents

I am guessing i should repot this as it has this big thick root visible on the bottom. i am guessing its a stolon and its all squeezed up against it. what do you guys think. The heads arnt touching the top but its hard to put the top back on and its growing rapidly. I am lucky as i never was able to obtain a healthy growing plant as before i just got barerooted dormant plants and i could never get them to grow past May. Should i plant it in another plastic container like its in maybe larger. or should it be in a drainage pot.

GOOD FIND! I haven`t seen one that good at lowes.....I have to buy one for cheap when they look bad and try a cobra again. I`ve kept them alive for a year when I was inexperienced. I get the good ones cheap because if you ask they will discount all of them not just the bad ones.... Heres a tiny little "dead" S.purpurea Ssp.venosa I got last fall....:O
S.purpurea_ssp.venosa_lowes_8_28_04.JPG

thats looking healthy that s. purpurea. Well like i said i just got there as they were shipped in. and they wont last long at lowes. i plan to go back and get them at clearence probably whatever they got. ill make a deal with them.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nepenthes ventricosa, sarracenia flava reds, sarracenias asortment, drosera adaele, pings, cobra lily!!!

what exactly do you mean with flava reds? a hybrid? red tube? or... dare I mention it... the flava atropurpurea?
smile_m_32.gif

Peter

Not likely. S. flava does not tissue culture. At least, not yet. Whatever the problem is with TC'ing flava, has yet to be worked out, last I've heard. If anyone has heard any different, or has any information about flava tissue culture, I would love to hear about it.

I thought flavas were TCed at Carniflora in Holland.

Visit here and go to the photos.

i dont know but it was a red flava. i should buy it. What do you think of repoting the cobra??

its sending a new head up and it looks like a big one.

I would repot it, the little plastic cubicle is an insult to the plant itself. The cubicle has no drainage or airmovement, repot asap.

Alvin, I went to the site, but I found nothing mentioning TC. If they do TC flava, Ron Gagliardo of ABG would love the info to work on many flava forms here. Last I heard from Ron through Sarraceniaobsessed was flavas are still not TC'ing. Everything else, OK, but flavas, no. Thanks for the link to Carniflora. Interesting to say the least.

Here's a cobra lily I found at Lowes. I already had one, but the second I saw the golfball head on this thing I knew I was buying it.
smile.gif
Now they're potted together. The tall one on the right is the only new growth so far.

cobralilies.jpg

thanks nep gracilis. I will do so. it has this new shoot coming up and its definately going to hit the top so i will do so. I guess pure spagnum is good right ? that cobra u found at lowes is bigger then mine.

IMG_1732.jpg

What is the name of the nursery that grew those? Where are they located? I'll bet the nursery is in Calif. or Oregon.
I was just in a Lowes here in southern ca. and they didn't have any. They never have any CP's in the Lowes here. GRRRR

Back