User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will this set up work for dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not worry about the lights. I am in NJ and grow my Sarracenia in large pots, which I bring into my attached garage over winter. It works well. Don't worry about the lights during this dormancy period, they should be fine. I just brought my plants in last night, and will bring them out again in late March, early April. Keep them slightly moist over winter (not sitting in water, not dry).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodnative ... your garage has no light at all? and they do fine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there is a row of small, north facing windows, but they don't provide enough light to be worthwhile to plant growth. I also bring some cactus in there over winter. As long as the plants are kept cool, they are fine. The problem is if they are warm and actively growing in dim light, then they will quickly grow spindly and exhaust themselves. However, during dormancy you can keep them in total darkness, if you wish. Some people even put their plants in a refrigerator for dormancy. In any case, the plants grow, increase and flower every year. Look in on them occasionally to make sure they dont' dry out too much, and occasionally trim off leaves that have completely turned brown. I usually trim all the leaves back before they go outside again in Spring.
    Note, your father's plants outside may not be doing well, by his pond, due to too much nutrients in the soil and/or provided by the pond water (esp. it there is fish in the pond)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My garage has no windows at all... so it is pitch black. Right now the temps are hovering around 30-50 degrees. I might move the shelf to the opposite corner where neither wall is connected to the house.... might drop it a bit in temp. Are these temps ok... it will continue to drop as we get into winter more.

Wouldn't the plants in their native home still be getting a good amount of winter sun?

I will pass the info on to my father. I didn't think of the water from the pond.... he did dig out a good amount and filled it with spag and sand.. but they are in the run-off area. I doubt they will make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, You've brought up a good point; most temperate plants still receive full sun in their natural habitats during the winter. The difference between them and our "pet" CPs is found in their growing mediums. The ground disperses and reflects radiant heat from the sun. On the other hand, the pots we grow our CPs in will, in most cases, absorb and retain heat making dormancy difficult. It also appears that when many CPs go dormant they don't require any light at all. Reduced daylight hours bring the plant into dormancy while a combination of reduced daylight hours and lower temps is what maintains it.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good to me. I will get some shallow bins to put all the pots in and keep damp spag in there to keep humidity up as much as possible but also help keep the temp down. Thanks for the help on this one. I can't wait till the spring to actually have a full growing season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12