What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia dormancy

Hey,

Living in Georgia, I can't grow Darlingtonia outside during the summer. I have gotten some amazing growth under lights/in a window this summer in the house, however. As it is time for dormancy, what do you suggest? Should I just refrigerate the thing, or does it need some lower light/shorter duration light first, to ease it into sleep?

I have a devoted refrigerator for nothing but plants, so I have plenty of space...I'm just going to bag the pot and plant all together and refrigerate.

Thanks,
Patrick Triggs.

Hi!

I don't know the temperatures at your region, but in winter months Darlingtonia needs cold. If there's nog cold...it wil die.

Can anyone from his region tell some more about this???

Bye for now,

Ries:;):

I know it needs cold, that's why it's in the refrigerator.

It does get cold here, Sarracenia are NATIVE and grow happily. The only problem with putting Darlingtonia outside is the heat of our summers and no source to cool the roots.

Darlingtonias are more tolerant than most people give credit for. My temps here in San Jose get up to between 90 and 100 degrees in the summer. I water normally, and it does not protest. Winter only gets to lows of 50-60 degrees (day) 30-40 at night.

I can safely say that it will be able to grow outside year round, but i will need more info on your area to give a definite answer.

Back