Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Darlingtonia dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Living in Georgia, I can't grow Darlingtonia outside during the summer. I have gotten some amazing growth under lights/in a window this summer in the house, however. As it is time for dormancy, what do you suggest? Should I just refrigerate the thing, or does it need some lower light/shorter duration light first, to ease it into sleep?

I have a devoted refrigerator for nothing but plants, so I have plenty of space...I'm just going to bag the pot and plant all together and refrigerate.

Thanks,
    Patrick Triggs.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I don't know the temperatures at your region, but in winter months Darlingtonia needs cold. If there's nog cold...it wil die.

Can anyone from his region tell some more about this

Bye for now,

Ries::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it needs cold, that's why it's in the refrigerator.

It does get cold here, Sarracenia are NATIVE and grow happily. The only problem with putting Darlingtonia outside is the heat of our summers and no source to cool the roots.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonias are more tolerant than most people give credit for. My temps here in San Jose get up to between 90 and 100 degrees in the summer. I water normally, and it does not protest. Winter only gets to lows of 50-60 degrees (day) 30-40 at night.

I can safely say that it will be able to grow outside year round, but i will need more info on your area to give a definite answer.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.