What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lily

Hey everyone,
I bought a very nice Cobra Lily the other day at Lowe's and I was wondering how cool the roots need to be. Would it be fine if I kept it indoors under fluorescents and watered it with chilled water? What other tips can an experienced grower give?
Thanks
Nick

I tried growing 2 last year, 1 outside and 1 inside the house. The one outside did well until the summer. I watered it with refrigerated water, but got too hot and died on me.
The 1 I grow inside the house did great. It is now in dormancy.

I would say keep it under the flourescent and water it frequently with chilled distilled water.. it grows well with cool roots, as in its natural environment it would have a cool stream running over the soil constantly.

Tip: freeze distilled water in an ice cube tray and put a cube on the soil to melt into the soil a couple times a day. This is really easy and more convenient than having to water the plant with cool water so many times in a day.

Mine are growing like mad under fluorescents. I do put a small ice cube in there once a day, but I think they'd be growing like that regardless. I'm guessing the roots only really get too warm if they're in the sun.

They don't need freezing cold roots. Just use normal water, they'll only run into problems if strong sun is on the pot in summer.

Back