What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy question

ok i have a bog bowl with some pitcher plants and vfts in it, i removed the vfts and mulched the top of the bowl with straw and put it away in our garage (pretty cold in their as we have snow) in the corner out of the way. now my question is in the spring do i have to trim off all of the old pitchers? i assume i do but im just checking to make sure, thanks in advance

they dont get trimmed in the wild, so I suppose you dont

You are best taking off all the dead parts now. Your plant will be better off for it. Though it sounds like you will be putting the plant in too dark a place.

Yep, cut off the dead bits now to prevent fungus. Leave anything green though, including during spring. Anything green is being used for photosynthesis, so even in winter it would be best to put it where there is some light so that it can take advantage of milder days.

hmm the problem with getting it light is i really dont have a place, other than outside and in northeast ohio we get some really bad snow and cold temps, so what should i do?

buy a light lamp

a workshop lamp even..

something you can hang or tripod near the plants..
it gives them light, and a tad bit of heat too.

dont put it too close though, cause they may burn..
put it mainly for the light, not heat

Definitely cut the dead parts off.. true, they don't get cut in the wild, but trimming the dead parts helps the plant's overall appearance and also gives new leaves more room to grow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Dec. 24 2004,6:17)]Definitely cut the dead parts off.. true, they don't get cut in the wild, but trimming the dead parts helps the plant's overall appearance and also gives new leaves more room to grow.
Leaves dotn grow in winter, you mainly chop off the dead parts to prevent fungi such as botrys.

I meant generally.

The plant will survive dormancy in the dark but there is a much higher chance of fungus setting in. I would dowse the rhizome with suphur personally.

You might want to try making sure the soil is barely damp and wrapping the pots in bubble wrap and leaving them outside over winter. They should be ok, escpecially if you leave them in a polystyrene packing too, or something else to aid insulation.

cut the dead parts and apply some fungicide to be safe. If you're especially paranoid, remove some pitchers if they're particularly full of dead bugs.

ok thank you for all the replies and help guys, and gal
smile.gif

Back