What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long will it take to sprout?

Well-the wait is finally over(4 weeks went pretty fast if you just forget the seeds exist). And they are out of the fridge and are getting light and warmth-when should I expect sprouts?

it can vary. i wouldn't expect anything for at least a couple of weeks. could be as many as 4-5 weeks. i'm assuming they're sarracenia seeds?

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa to be exact.

In my experience (although I've never sprouted purpurea (only flava, rubra, alata, oreo, leuco)) they take about 10 days to start sprouting.

- Patrick Triggs

hmmmmmm, I have just taken out a pot full of mixed S.alata forms, its only my second Sarr germinating experience, I have germinated S.purpurea subsp. venosa before, it took about 10-14 days, maybe a bit longer.
Dino
cool.gif

Hmmm...will the seeds show any sign of sprouting? Quite a few are just laying on the surface-should I lightly cover them with peat?

No. Don't cover them with peat. Just leave them alone and let them do what they do best---sprout! Sarracenia seed can take as long as six to eight weeks to sprout, but can definitely sprout sooner than that.

I was given S. alata seeds in February and they began to sprout in about 3 weeks. I just had hem in a pipette dispenser container, moist, covered, and at a window sill. Nothing sophisticated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 31 2004,9:15)]No. Don't cover them with peat. Just leave them alone and let them do what they do best---sprout! Sarracenia seed can take as long as six to eight weeks to sprout, but can definitely sprout sooner than that.
I coverered my purp venosa seeds with peat and they sprouted fine.

Thats good, Starman. In nature they are not usually covered, but sometimes do get covered. I find, for me, that leaving them uncovered is best. You can see the first signs of molds or fungus if they are not covered, and deal with it. Covered seed are usually dead from fungus or mold before you even know it is there. They will germinate just the same, covered or otherwise. Take your own choice.

I noticed 2 seeds growing fungus-should I remove them?

You might as well. Only dead seeds tend to grow fungus.

Hmmm. Its been way overdue it seems but I still have a couple seeds sitting around on the peat(no sprouts that I saw). Could they still be viable? Any way to try to encourage them?

I find it depends on species, how fresh the seed is, and how long in the fridge. If nothing sprouts in 4 weeks throw it back in the fridge for another 3-4 weeks and you should get sprounts hte second time. This is especially true of fresh seed which needs the "rest"

Hmmm...so by now they've forgotten that I've stratified them some time ago?

Possibly. For mold Brooks told me to sprinkle cinnamon on the seed

Back