Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repotting heliamphora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh oh... I water my Heli minor from overhead...
    He seems to be growing, sloooowly but growing... does that mean I should stop?
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i water it overhead... sometimes but not much. My h. heteradoxa I never water really... and its doing fine... just small (no mature pitchers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never would have thunk it, but if some people here have suggested to not water overhead from personal experience, you might want to heed it.
    Idealy, I have alwyas wanted to sit up a overhead "misting" system for Helis, as that sound slike waht they would be most comfy with. Sounds like the key is misting and not droplets of water.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of how much or little water Helies like, especially on their crowns, a 30-minute submersion isn't going to hurt them.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It finally stopped raining.... i divide it this week...mayb saturday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watering overhead is a good thing because it flushes water through the plant and pot. This prevents stagnant water sitting around. If the crown of the plant is beneath the soil level then you run the risk of rot. Not because the water came from above, but because the crown buried gets stale. In the wild some of the helis grow submerged for periods, and they don't rot. The reason is that the water is running and therefore does not go stale. Also, on the tepuis rain waters plants overhead for several hours each day, but the rain is in flow and doesn't sit around.

If you have a plant planted deeply in a peat-based mix then injudicious overhead watering may well do more harm than good, leading to oversodden compost up at the crown level. If you, instead, use LFS based soils and keep the plant above the soggy level then overhead watering is greatly beneficial to the plant, drawing air into the soil and keeping it fresh and actually lessening the chance of rot.

That's my view anyway...

Rob.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always remember ppl not everything works for everyone. mainly cause its darn near impossible to duplicate each others exact growing conditions. also individual clones of the same species will react differently to the same set of circumstances sometimes. if a plant is growing for you yah must be doing something right.

that said i have had no luck with Helis although ive only tried them once with the cheap lil ones PFT sold last summer. i hope to get my hands on a better started and acclimated one this spring

P.S nothing against PFT, the S. Judith Hindle i recieved in the same sale has been doing wonderfully. the Heli was an experiment and i was unsure how well it would do under my care when i recieved it. i just figured for the price it was worth a shot.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12