What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting heliamphora

Hi,
My heliamphora minor looks like it divided a ton of times... but the one time I tried to repot it it almost cracked. So...does anybody have any tips for repotting and dividing?

I take the plant out of the pot and gently snap the rhizome to the point where each growing point has its each rhizome and a couple of roots. I leave the main plant with a few growing points and pot the other plants individually in a mixture of 3 parts lfs or better yet, new zealand lfs. 2 parts perlite. 1 part peat moss. During the period of acclimation, I make sure that the humidity is always above 70% and the temps are to their liking. When they have produced 2 pitchers, they have acclimated.

ps: if you do divide it, pm me!
smile_n_32.gif

Is it in a terrarium? If so fill the terrarium with rainwater above the height of the plant and let sit for 30 minutes. AFterthis the plant will be much more flexable

"AFterthis the plant will be much more flexable "

maybe beacause it WILL BE ROTTEN!!

helis dont like water in their crown:O

lol

My Heli gets water in the crown regualy(its on the windowsill) and it never rots.
Might be cos its in a terrarium.

I dont know, but in all of the books I have read, it says to keep the crown above the soil and water level.

Ima wait till the rain stops... then divide... tahnks for advice!

Yes, I've lost many Heliamphora that are watered overhead frequently like D'amato suggests, he suggests a recipe for death! I now hardly ever water my plants, they get a very very fine mist from the nearby mist nozzle overhead, the smaller moisture droplets that drift on the air are the key, not a thorough saturating constantly.

Oh oh... I water my Heli minor from overhead...
He seems to be growing, sloooowly but growing... does that mean I should stop?

i water it overhead... sometimes but not much. My h. heteradoxa I never water really... and its doing fine... just small (no mature pitchers)

I never would have thunk it, but if some people here have suggested to not water overhead from personal experience, you might want to heed it.
Idealy, I have alwyas wanted to sit up a overhead "misting" system for Helis, as that sound slike waht they would be most comfy with. Sounds like the key is misting and not droplets of water.

Cheers,

Joe

Regardless of how much or little water Helies like, especially on their crowns, a 30-minute submersion isn't going to hurt them.

It finally stopped raining.... i divide it this week...mayb saturday

Watering overhead is a good thing because it flushes water through the plant and pot. This prevents stagnant water sitting around. If the crown of the plant is beneath the soil level then you run the risk of rot. Not because the water came from above, but because the crown buried gets stale. In the wild some of the helis grow submerged for periods, and they don't rot. The reason is that the water is running and therefore does not go stale. Also, on the tepuis rain waters plants overhead for several hours each day, but the rain is in flow and doesn't sit around.

If you have a plant planted deeply in a peat-based mix then injudicious overhead watering may well do more harm than good, leading to oversodden compost up at the crown level. If you, instead, use LFS based soils and keep the plant above the soggy level then overhead watering is greatly beneficial to the plant, drawing air into the soil and keeping it fresh and actually lessening the chance of rot.

That's my view anyway...

Rob.

always remember ppl not everything works for everyone. mainly cause its darn near impossible to duplicate each others exact growing conditions. also individual clones of the same species will react differently to the same set of circumstances sometimes. if a plant is growing for you yah must be doing something right.

that said i have had no luck with Helis although ive only tried them once with the cheap lil ones PFT sold last summer. i hope to get my hands on a better started and acclimated one this spring

P.S nothing against PFT, the S. Judith Hindle i recieved in the same sale has been doing wonderfully. the Heli was an experiment and i was unsure how well it would do under my care when i recieved it. i just figured for the price it was worth a shot.

Back