What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant safety

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I am wanting to move my Sarrs to my garage. It gets down to about 30F-35F(most always above above freezing though), and up to about 50(on warm days) in the winter. They would not get a large amount of light just some morning light. It is usually filtered but can be direct if there are no clouds.

Thanks,
~Wes~

Sounds fine
smile.gif

I put my mini-bogs, containing sarrs, vfts, & temperate dews, in my garage for the winter and they do just fine. Keep an eye out for mold, etc., but that shouldn't be a problem if there's some light and air circulation.

Wes, are the climatic conditions just a tad too cold to leave them out all winter, considering where you are?

I wouldn't think so, i never freezes... and it would be better than sticking them in the fridge for 3-4 months with no light period, especially since theyd be getting SOME(very little but enough to photosynthesize(sp?)).

Even if you needed to mulch them a bit with peat and/or pine needles, they would probably do better outside. I figure if Wildbill can do it up in Connecticut, N.C. should be even better. (Go Duke!)

LOL, I haven't quite gotten around to the mini-bog but that is actually one of my new-year resolutions. I wouldn't even have to mulch them... we seem to get rained on with leaves and pine needles...LOL(Duke needs help this year... But I'm still rooting for them)

Temps sound okay, they will go in to deep dormancy so they won't need to photosynthesize. I have heard some BAD stories about keeping plants in garages though, so i would be a little cautious.

Bad stories? like what?

how? that way I can keep an eye out for it.........

Back