User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Get your magnifying glasses folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had 40+ S. leucophylla sprout. The variability among my germination times is over a span of about 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found that my big boy Melvin the cat has been sprawling out by the heat of the germination area and evidently he turned off the heating pad that this particular seed was on. I asked my husband how long it had been off and he stated it had been off for well over a week and that he thought I had turned it off intentionally. Ok, it is back on and the soil temps are back up over 80F so let's see if that didn't have something to do with it. Rats, I can't believe that happened. I intentionally placed that control on the outside so that I could "monitor" it. Appears I was so obsessed with checking the seeds that I missed the obvious... the little red light was off.

Say sunpitcher, I just found the setting in my control panel to turn on avatars and such and I was able to see your grow list. You have done a spectacular job. You should be very proud of yourself for having amassed such a diverse grow list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Is it common for there to exist spans of a week or weeks between a first seed germinating and others following suit?
    Yes it is, at least for me. I start them under growlights in winter where most of them sprout of a couple of months. The rest only germinate once the spring sun gets on them.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate it. I'll set the trays outside this coming June and see what comes of any seed that hadn't germinated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura,

I am really enjoying seeing all this through your eyes. Hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through you, lol.
    I have done this for so long(1979-1980), and I am afraid I have lost my spark somewhat. Really sad compared to Bugweed 42 years and going strong.
    Anyways keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joe! I have to admit I am not new to germinating seed but I am totally new to germinating seed indoors utilizing artificial lighting. I have winter sown literally thousands of native herbaceous and woody species of seeds over the years. I am probably best classified as an environmentalist in that I control, manage, and eradicate invasive species of both flora and fauna over here however my focus is most assuredly on wetlands conservation and restoration. This dictates a need for local genotypes AND.... there is pretty much only one way to get those and that would be to do it yourself. So I did. Native plants are so darn easy it isn't even funny so don't get overly impressed. 100% of the seed I have dealt with to date needed to be sown out of doors to better insure its survival. I am now thrilled to be dealing with CP seed that is not necessarily indigenous to my region or even to the continent of North America therefore I am actually in the "Twilight Zone" half the time with such incredibly different cultural requirements. This is tons of fun for me yet on the other hand I am taking casualties personally. My only regrets are that I didn't get into these little pretties sooner. Oh the possibilities are endless. Please feel free to view through my eyes but also please feel free to jump in and correct me any time you so desire as you can see I am in over my head these days and most probably will continue to be over my head with CPs for many years to come. Bye for now, Laura

Bye for now, Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to get you excited Laura [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

These are one year old seedlings (except the empty looking cells which have just-germinated seeds in). The biggy is S.x 'Brook's Hybrid' x flava var. ornata. I've never seen a seedling grow so fast; it's about a year ahead of schedule going by size.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    Very very very nice!
    You must be a very proud "Poppa"!

Are you anywhere near London?
    How big are your cells? How many seedlings did you place in each cell?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast