Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have a S. leucophylla 'tarnok' that has been growing in a terrarium for about a year and a half now. It is about 14 -16 inches tall. I haven't been able to get to it because there were too many thing in front of the terrarium but now things have been rearranged so I can work in it. It gets full sun for about six hours and the temps range from 55 at night to around 85 in the day with 75-80% humidity.

My Question is, What is the best way I can bring this plant into dormancy this late in the season? Just bagging it up and sticking into the frig doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt try to put it onto dormancy this late in the winter..
    its nearly Spring, and sarracenia should be just starting to come out of dormancy right now..

I would leave it alone until spring, then when its warm enough outside, (april-ish) take it out of the terrarium and put it in a pot, and let it grow all of this coming spring, summer and autumn outdoors.
    then it should start to go dormant naturally in late summer/early autumn, and will be ready for an all-winter fridge dormancy next winter.
    leave it outdoors all autumn until the temps start to fall below freezing..I put my plants in the fridge around Halloween.

it might not make it..skipping a whole year's dormancy is very risky, especially for an adult plant. it might be severely stressed right now.
    then again, it could pull through fine!
    depends on how healthy it is right now.
    but its about your only option at this point.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan to continue to grow you Sarr in the terrarium, there's really not a problem. Since you are in total control of all your conditions, the plant doesn't know that it's spring time outside! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Just shorten the day light hours and hold back on the water for the next few months to give your plant a rest.
    Do you plan to grow this Sarr outside in summer? If so, when you bring your plant out of dormancy at the end of May (by making the daylight hours longer and watering more) try to slowly build up the daylight hours to match the natural photo period outdoors.
    If you plan to grow year round in a terrarium, you can even give your 'Tarnok' super long days in "spring/summer" - but make the transition slowly when coming out of dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool temps..
    cool temps..
    cool temps..

sorry to continously harp on this, but just cutting down on light isnt good enough..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to contradict you, Scot, but we have experienced otherwise. We live in sunny South Florida. The temps here are too mild for our Sarrs – we are too tropical. Last night, our low temp was 58 degrees F. Tonight we’re expecting a cold front and the low will be 53 degrees F.
    When there were only a few dozen Sarrs in our collection, I used to put slushy ice water on them every night from Dec to Feb to force them into dormancy. When our collection expanded to thousands of Sarrs (yes, thousands!) a few years ago, it became impossible to pour icey water on all of our adult plants. My wife Michelle flat-out refused. We discussed many “alternative” growing methods with Sarracenia growers even farther south of us, who rarely see temps below 45-50, and they insisted that holding back on the water would be enough to make the plant stop growing. After a few years of doing this, we can safely say that it really works, -as long as the Sarr gets enough water to prevent permanent dormancy! Let ‘em go dry, but not for extended periods of time (many days) under full sun. Another concern for us in S. Florida is our long days. Our photo period here is longer than what the Sarrs are used to in nature. Even with our long days and mild winters, we have successfully forced thousands of plants into dormancy by cutting back the water. Our plants stop growing for a few months, and that’s really all the rest they need. Sure, they still have some pitchers and don’t die back totally (especially the hybrids), but they do stop growing and produce phyllodia until they bloom at the end of this month. If the temps in Dan’s terrarium are 55 at night - with the days being very short and less water, the ‘Tarnok’ will not be growing vigorously.
    Dan, what have you done in the years past? – if you’ve had it for years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, Thanks for your suggestions.

I've only been keeping CPs for about a year and a half and this was one of the first ones I had. So, as far as this plant is concerned I've never done anything with it. I planted it in the terrarium before I knew they needed to go dormant in the winter. There is sort of a mish/mash of other CPs in there with it, A bunch of unknown sundew hybrids a few nepenthes, a pot of heliamphora's and some utrics. Some potted some not. It is very damp in there, during the day the glass is so covered with condensation and you can't see into it.

Over the winter the only things to do much growing was the heliamphora's and sundews. This Sar grew long phyllodia over the winter but no pitchers and I don't think its grown much in the last month or two. Can this be considered a "sort of" dormancy? All my other Sars I left outside for the winter covered with peat.

Thanks again, Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very possible that it went dormant. Trent is right, Scotty. In South America, growers down there have to do the same thing, and have been getting very good results. So cool temps are not always necessary, but learning new tricks is always a good idea. Any L.A. or San Diego growers have a similar story??
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,
    you arent disagreeing with me!
    because we arent talking about the same thing..
    I consider 50's to be "cooler"!
    most people growing CP's indoors in terrariums keep them at 70 degrees all winter..because the terrariums are kept in the same rooms as the humans..
    most people's living rooms or bedrooms are not 55 degrees at night in the winter! thats the problem.

Sarracenia grow wild in Florida..Florida is perfectly capable of providing proper winter dormancy conditions..
    most terariums are not! unless you do something to cool them down.
    im not saying you need 35 degrees..but you need cooler than summer.
    50's is fine. I agree with you there..
    so we are BOTH right!

a normal terrarium is not the same as outdoors in Florida in the winter..
    I would bet the terrarium is far warmer.
    most terrariums are kept at "summer conditions" all year long..for years on end.
    if you can provide less light and cooler temps in the terrarium, then thats all well and good..but most of the time that isnt being done.

gotta have both cooler temps and less light..
    winter in Florida has cooler temps and less light than summer in Florida..thats all sarrs need.

if your plants are in a terrarium in the living room under artificial light, then you have to provide both cooler temps and less light artificially..
    or grow them outdoors..
    Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast