Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants guys. I'm gonna have to borrow a digital camera. Do you feed them?

I have noticed some nice results in my propagated ceph youngins with BetaBioGold pellets. The pellets are very tiny and nearly perfectly round so they just drop right in. I tried fruitflies, but sometimes they stick to the sides or don't go all the way in. I've been feeding about every two weeks or so. Also, I have noticed quite a difference in growth with deep pots. Last fall, I repotted both my regular ceph & a Hummer's Giant ceph from 4 inch pots to very tall vase-like 6 diameter inch pots (around 12 inches tall). They just started growing robustly and I started getting really big traps on the Hummer's. I noticed the same thing about pot depth with my little propagated ones. The ones in the tall dixie cups are bigger than their counterparts in the 2 inch square pots.

I hope this info helps.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Wesley,
    I currently have the plant under lowland conditions right now. Do not know the temps nor the humidity since I'm not home most of the time (and I don't have a plantsitter).

WildBill,
    Actually I hardly feed my Cephalotus. But if I do, I would feed it baby crickets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another shot of the plant

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/eplants02/128-2824_IMG.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (eplants02 @ Feb. 14 2005,10:31)]Wesley,
    I currently have the plant under lowland conditions right now. Do not know the temps nor the humidity since I'm not home most of the time (and I don't have a plantsitter).

WildBill,
    Actually I hardly feed my Cephalotus. But if I do, I would feed it baby crickets.
    Really, crickets? Sounds a little strong to me. I would think more along the lines of a half dozen flightless Drosophila hydei [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

But I hardly feed it

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (WildBill @ Feb. 14 2005,8:02)]Nice plants guys. I'm gonna have to borrow a digital camera. Do you feed them?

I have noticed some nice results in my propagated ceph youngins with BetaBioGold pellets. The pellets are very tiny and nearly perfectly round so they just drop right in. I tried fruitflies, but sometimes they stick to the sides or don't go all the way in. I've been feeding about every two weeks or so. Also, I have noticed quite a difference in growth with deep pots. Last fall, I repotted both my regular ceph & a Hummer's Giant ceph from 4 inch pots to very tall vase-like 6 diameter inch pots (around 12 inches tall). They just started growing robustly and I started getting really big traps on the Hummer's. I noticed the same thing about pot depth with my little propagated ones. The ones in the tall dixie cups are bigger than their counterparts in the 2 inch square pots.

I hope this info helps.

Bill
    WildBill, what is your favorite growing medium for your Cephs? Mine most certainly needs repotting because it stays small year after year but I have been afraid to do it for fear of shocking it. The growth that is there is strong, but just very small...what do you recommend? (It is kept outdoors in the filtered shade of other CPs, San Diego.)
    Ludwig

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use peat/sand 1:1 and never had any problems with cephaloti. They grow well even in planted terrariums.

Cheers,
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the main thing with them is the water table issue. they don't like to be standing in water all the time. You can use the tray method as long as you let the tray dry out for a few days.
    My favorite mix is 40% milled sphagnum , 40% perlite, 10% peat, 10% silica sand. I had one actually do fine in straight peat once and get 2.5" pitchers(Lowrie recommended 100% German peat once). I was a lazy waterer and did not keep the tray full, which was actually beneficial to the plant, lol.
    Say, Jan: Do you know what the difference between German and Canadian peat is, just out of curiosity? Maybe we can trade a small bag and experiment, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast