What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia rubra ssp differences?

What are the differences between these two plants?

This is a good question. If you have unlabeled plants, you would be very hard pressed to distinctly differentiate between these two subspecies. According to Schnell, wherryi is… “a shorter version of subspecies alabamensis that grows disjunctly farther north…the plants grow in pine savannas as well as sandy seeps. Whereas Sarracenia rubra ssp. alabamensis farther north has no other pitcher plant species in its bogs, subspecies wherryi grows with several other Gulf Coast species.”

Check out Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, Second Addition, by Donald E. Schnell. Dr. Schnell goes in to detail about the differences between members of the rubra complex.

Good luck, If I lost all my labels, our rubra complex collection would be a mess.

Steve

Yes I have that book and looked in it but had to ask here. The book did not have enough describtion on wherryi and said nothing to really compair the two subspecies.

S. rubra ssp. alabamensis has a larger, slightly more frilly hood.

Well I guess I will wait until my alabamensis pitchers and compair.

Back