Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A sad loss indeed......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps my solution to cats and dogs ruining pots and plants, I built a shelf only about 1 foot and a half away from my ceiling with lights in it It isnt very good for the large, 3 foot tall sarracenia but Its perfect for the seedlings
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had racoons and possums knock over ever pot I had outside (3x in one month). The end result was the loss of a some pitcher plants, a bunch of pings, and a few pygmy sundews. The biggest blow was I never found my P. ionantha, and it had finally started to grow after it had almost totally died back. So I know your pain all to well. Even Peter D has problems with racoons.
    \"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be great Kirk, I'm looking to buy a Flava, Leuco. and a Rubra of some kind and possibly a Minor. If you will have any mature plants for sale at the show, I will be happy to buy them from you. By the way, when and where is the show?

Thanks,

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the 'coons ripping up my plants every year. The problem is sarracenia have two things they love - water trays and pitchers filled with "bug paste". I get up a few mornings a year and see plants laying on the ground and the pots a few feet away. As long as you catch them the next day you can pot them back up and they'll generally be ok. I find they shred the pitchers to eat the insect "goo" though. Not much you can do about it if you grow your plants outside. I try and put my better plants in the middle of the benches with plain plants along the edges. That way hopefully they tear up a Judith Hindle or something easily replaceable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I never had a problem with rodents and my CP. But last summer, the problem began. I would find my S. Rubra and VFT dug up and holes dug within my bog garden. Also I found something else that was interesting and devasting. Some of the pitchers on my S. Purpurea ssp Purpurea were ripped open!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too simple! Haven't you ever built a simple frame? If you can, then stretch bird netting over it, and animal pestilence will slow to non-existant. That's how I do it, and no animal problems since I did, whether mammal or bird.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine Bugweed has hit the nail on the head. I would love to live in a place where I could have these problems(meaning able to sit pots outside and actually see them flourish), lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12