What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph soil mix

i just recieved a small Ceph and was wondering what soil everyone is using. did a quick search and didnt come up with much info. i have peat, sand, perlite, dried Chiliean LFS and a small amount of live LFS(probably a clump taking up a 3 inch pot) on hand. i have a fairly deep 3.5 inch pot that i plan on using cause i did find that they like deep pots.

You got everything I would use.
For me, it's 40%milled lf sphagnum, 40% perlite, 10% peat and 10% sand. Alvin's mix is fine too, and so is Peter D'Amato's of 2:1 the other way , ie perlite:peat or sand:peat.
The water level issue is more important. I use the tray method, but let the water dry out of the tray/saucer before watering again.

Cheers,

Joe

I've been using 1:2 peat:sand/perlite mix in a pot that looks to be bigger than what it needs at first.

ok i potted it up. i think i wound up with a roughly 1:2:2:1 mix of peat, sand, perlite and LFS. its a cute lil guy about an inch or maybe a lil more across. what water level should be the "high water mark"? its in a 4 inch tall pot in its own tray that is only about 1.5 inches high. will this work or do i need a deeper tray?

Cephalotus do best in a mix of one part peat to two parts sand/or perlite.

Back