What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabin fever pics

• Thread starter sarracenia
  • Start date
a pic showing a few of the larger 2 yr. old seedlings I have:

2yrseedlings.jpg

a 1 yr old. seedling of the cross alata nigrapurpurea x (leucophyllya x gilpini).  i guess it's still only a year old and too young to tell anything yet, but seemingly shows the coloration of the nigrapurpurea, and a slightly decumbent growth habit from the psittacina in its genes:

axlxpsxr1yr.jpg

These next two are siblings from the same cross, which I am assuming is (alata x leuco) x (psitt x swaniana), since that's the only cross with psittacina involved I did from that particular year.  These will be 2 years old in April.  I have high hopes for these plants.  At this stage they seem to show they will be kind of unique. The top plant appears to be completely upright, while its brother/sister shows the decumbency of psittacina:

axlxswaniana2yr.jpg

axlxswaniana2yr2.jpg

A bloom from (alata x oreophila) x mitchelliana:

axoxmflower.jpg

A bloom from the culitivar 'Cobra Nest', which I happen to be crossing with the previous plant:

cobranestflower.jpg

A bloom from the anthocyanin-free leucophylla x rubra jonesii just getting ready to open:
leucorubragreenflower.jpg

Lastly, my pink ladyslippers have finally opened up:

cacauleflower1.jpg

Very nice Aaron,

Is that Cypripedium acaule? Your seedlings look promising the (alata x oreo) x mitchelliana looks like it'll have a huge lid and nice color. Keep us updated!

imduff

[b said:
Quote[/b] (imduff @ Mar. 04 2005,1:17)] Is that Cypripedium acaule?
Yep. My wife's grandma dug it up from a swamp where she works and gave it to me last spring (i don't think she knew any better). i didn't expect it to survive, but lo and behold. she also gave me a wild iris that's right next to it in the pot, and that has just sent out a spike. i'm kind of bummed it bloomed so early, i thought it would look good amongst some sarracenia pitchers in the pot with it. there's a lg. Scarlett Belle right next to it that would've made a nice background, but it has yet to even put a pitcher out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Mar. 06 2005,4:24)]nice! do you have a photo of yopur greenhouse?
no. it's not my greenhouse actually. my wife teaches biology at the university here. she was put in charge of the greenhouse, which meant an open invitation to put in there what i wanted. since we had to live in a motel for a month, waiting to move into the house we bought, in went all my plants. i'm seriously thinking about keeping them in there year-round, since they seem to love it. at the least though, i'll probably move several out onto our back deck come May. i get kind of lonely without them by my side
smile.gif

Had to add a couple of new seedling pics, taken today. The first two are the front and back of the tall unopened seedling in the first picture of this thread. I wish I knew what it was, but I think it's from one of the crosses I did with a leuco x oreophila that year.

2yr1.jpg

2yr2.jpg

This last pic is another 1 year old seedling that's starting to show some adult characteristics. I guess it doesn't show that much, but you can kind of see the psittacina in it, at the least. I just get pretty excited everytime one of these seedlings starts growing up a bit. It's (flava x psittacina) x 'citronelli'

flavaxpsittxcitronelli1yr.jpg

Back