What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr flower eaten by something

Two of 5 of my S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkeii flowers were eaten last night. What could have done it? I am furious!!! Actually it was the 4 inch buds. One is compleatly gone and the other got something plunged into it and withdrawn. What might have done this? Help please so I can insure this does not happen again.

probably a squirrel..
a friend of mine says his Sarr flower buds get eaten by squirrels every Spring..
but he doent care since he doesnt want them to flower anyway..

flower buds are tasty and nutritious!
smile_m_32.gif

Scot

same thing has happened to me in the greenhouse, so i highly doubt it's a squirrel! at least in my case. i'm thinking a caterpillar of some sort. can't think of much else that would eat that much.

i had squirrel problems last year. funny guy ate buds, pulled up bulbs from the other gardens and planted them in with the sarracenia. building a salad perhaps? he's long gone this summer, however.
other possibility to consider is an ally cat. they play with/eat some strange things, like my oregano.
-julie

Back